How long do you think a headphone would last?
Jul 27, 2015 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Genjisleeps

100+ Head-Fier
How long do you think you would savor a headphone before it breaks? My JVC HA-SZ2000 just broke. Most likely due to the unintentional time I layed on it a long time a go and the left part with the pad bent after that I started taking care of it. Then today when I opened it to put around my neck it broke. I had it for 9 months, it felt like 3 good years. How long do you think a headphone lasts?

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 4
I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones that I bought new in 1980. I have replaced the foam in the pads a couple of times. They still sound great. These are entirely plastic headphones. The time a headphone lasts depends on both the build quality and how you care for them.

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 4
^
Anything with moving parts and bits that are bent and rubbed will wearing down in time, and you'll need to service them, but a good headphone will last quite a while. If I were to put it down in terms of years, I'd say 15 years isn't too much to expect from a good pair.

I bought a pair of SE215 a few years back, and after absolutely abusing these things for the last few years they seem fine. The cable shows signs of oxidation (?) but nothing has changed in the audio department.

My personal list of things to break first roughly goes like this:
1. Cable and interconnects - most likely to break due to the amount of stress they get.
2. Earpads - you get sweaty sometimes, and your skin rubs the things all day.
3. Headband - you bend them with your head. Repeated stress and strain will break anything. You could probably crack glass by lightly tapping it an astronomical amount of times, it's just how physics works.
4. Housing - people drop headphones, it happens, we are all human and make mistakes.

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 4
I own two pairs of AKG Sextetts that were in production between 1975-79. Both show signs of wear and I've had to replace a few worn parts but both still function and sound good today for their age. Headphone parts are expected to wear out over time, some sooner than other depending on how often you use your cans. Making a pair of cans last depends on how you care for and treat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back