How long do you expect to use a DAP for?
Jan 18, 2006 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tmann

100+ Head-Fier
While trying to sort these things out, I was thinking about the non-removeable batteries, various problems suffered by seemingly every model, and that a lot of people seem to be continually upgrading. For me, if I'm spending possibly upwards of $300 for one of these I would expect it to last for years. Unfortunately, based on comments on here and other places it doesn't seem like that is common/likely.

When you buy an MP3 player how long are you expecting to use it, and is the limiting factor non-confidence in durability, or that you will want to upgrade at a certain point?

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 6
I had an iriver ihp, and the POS's harddrive had frequent problems: wouldn't let songs be copied, destroy random files, hell, it wouldn't even play music sometimes. Gui would freeze often, and iriver ignored all my emails. I only recently decided to purchase a new player (that's not iriver) cause the crapbox commited harikari.

Getting to the point, I want it to last a hell of long time. This s**t is expensive.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmann
While trying to sort these things out, I was thinking about the non-removeable batteries, various problems suffered by seemingly every model, and that a lot of people seem to be continually upgrading. For me, if I'm spending possibly upwards of $300 for one of these I would expect it to last for years. Unfortunately, based on comments on here and other places it doesn't seem like that is common/likely.

When you buy an MP3 player how long are you expecting to use it, and is the limiting factor non-confidence in durability, or that you will want to upgrade at a certain point?

I have used lots of DAPs, and all of them are very durable. The only problem that sucks in DAPs with non removable batteries, is that after a year of use the battery will be much shorter than it was when new. With my previous DAP which I used for really long, the battery became so pathetically short that my options were to either buy it a new battery or a new DAP. Although I loved my previous DAP, I thought it would be better to try what newer technology had to offer. Disapointingly, all the newer technology brough was ease of use, yet lacked so much from my old DAP.

So in short, DAPs can last lon if you take care of them. The battery is the problem for the most part. Just in case try to get a two year warranty. Best Buy's extended 2 year warranty is great as it allows you to replace your DAP with any other of the DAPs they have in stock, unless you are looking to buy something more expensive.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 6
I've yet to own one that lasts more than 6 months, not due to the quality of the players, but due to upgradeitis (and thx to the invention of fleabay). I'm still looking for a player that will last me 2-3 years though.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmann

I upgrade according to Apple's schedule, so that's every 12 months or so, unless they come out with a poor model like the B/W 4G iPod which I skipped.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Because of good experiences, I expect my DAPs to last a few years. I started with minidisc recorder/players. My MZ-R50 still works after several years. My Rio 500 still works even though the software does not support XP. The only player that is a problem is a Rio Nitrus. The built-in battery does not hold a charge very well. I am concerned about the batteries in my NJB3. They still work but are old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back