How long do UE-10s last
Feb 19, 2006 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

backbaychef

Head-Fier
Okay I am almost ready to just bag the E500 cause I need something now. But the 1 year warranty on the UE-10s kinda sucks. I mean I am paying $1k for custom canal phones, shouldn't they cover it for more?

My wife summed it up in saying, "If the warranty is for 1 year, that means they expect it to break after 1 year". So, from everyone's experience (those who have these) how long have they lasted?

BackBayChef
www.how2dance.com
www.cultureshock.net

Feb 19, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 22
I haven't even seen these phones, but I remember reading a thread about the life expectancy of IEMs in general, and a manufacturer (I don't remember which one) had answered to a head-fier that the IEMs last about... 3 years! (I hope I remember correctly, it was this short, anyway). Quite shocking! Ask the manufacturer first, and if you don't receive a (satisfying) straight answer, then in my opinion you are taking a serious risk if you buy.
Anybody else, please correct me if you know better, I don't want to be misleading here.

Feb 19, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte
I haven't even seen these phones, but I remember reading a thread about the life expectancy of IEMs in general, and a manufacturer (I don't remember which one) had answered to a head-fier that the IEMs last about... 3 years!

Just so people know this applies to custom fit IEMs only.

Feb 19, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 22
I remeber reading similar things about IEM's lasting only 3-5 years depending on how well you clean them and take care of them. Your ear canals can also change if you have a large weight change. I do think UE offers a refitting service though for something like 150 or 200 that they will re do your IEM's at any time. And just because they have a 1 year warrenty doesn't mean that they engineered the UE10's to break after 1 year. IEM's are just simply not ment to last 10 or more years, if they did then im sure the warrenty would be longer. UE just knows that because if the use and materials involved, the pobability of failure foes up at certain point. It just makes sense that they would have a warrenty that is cost effective to them.

Feb 19, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 22
So how long do normal canal phones last in compaired to molded on averaqe? I just ordered a used pair of e5's that are a little under a year old with only a little use I think though. now i'm worried!

Feb 19, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 22
IEM's take a lot of abuse in portable situations- heat, cold, sunlight, sweat, and the constant stress of insertion and removal. All this abuse is magnified by the miniaturized components and thin cords. If you think you would be subjecting your phones to these conditions, do not be optimistic about their longevity.
Aaroncort- you've got a year left on the shure replacement warranty, after it expires, shure will still replace them for a nominal fee.

Feb 19, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 22
I think, if you handle any equipment with care, it'll last for a very long time. It all comes down to the durability of the material that is used, not the fact that you 'use' it.

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 22
Also take into account that the UE10 is a pro poroduct. People who use this on stage tend not to treat them as well (even abuse them by our high standerds) as a Head-fier would. I really don't think Bono or who what ever other pros are on their client list would care to much if they had to shell out some buckks for a repair or replacement. I think UE is just underestimating the lifespan. From what I heard expect with good treatment a lifespan of 3-5 years.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroJunkie
Also take into account that the UE10 is a pro poroduct. People who use this on stage tend not to treat them as well (even abuse them by our high standerds) as a Head-fier would. I really don't think Bono or who what ever other pros are on their client list would care to much if they had to shell out some buckks for a repair or replacement. I think UE is just underestimating the lifespan. From what I heard expect with good treatment a lifespan of 3-5 years.

Ya, I think your're going to have to do a whole lot better than "good treatment" to get even three years out of an IEM. Five year's might require divine providence.
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 22
Well, I have owned my Ultimate Ears Ue-10 Professional for two full years and I lost 70 pounds. I still have a perfect fit and I never had to request a refit be done. They still sound spectacular and they are reliable along with being fairly durable for home usage. Like I wrote in my review, if you can afford them, then get them and enjoy the music.

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 22
The thought that IEMs only last 5 years scares me.
It seems that full size headphones easily last 20 years.

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 22
Last night I experimented with just wrapping wax earplugs around my super fi. 5 pros. It seams to work great, gives me a great seal, and the sound is good enough for traveling with my ipod I think - though they sound better with a portable amp. If I like them next week like this I think I'll just wait on the E500s. I wish UE had a program like Sensaphonics.

I'll try and enjoy my HD-650s in the quite moments of my life, but until then these will do for audiobooks etc.

BackBayChef
www.how2dance.com
www.cultureshocked.net

Feb 20, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 22
i finally went with ACS.
one of my main consideration is their 2 year warranty.

looking forward to receiving the package in a couple of weeks.

Feb 20, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 22
Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to spend a grand on an earphone that would break in three to five years either, I mean some people still use headphones from the 1960s, I expected better, I guess it's a good thing I never really got into IEM's
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back