How long do headphones usually last you before they break?
Apr 16, 2010 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Doorbell

100+ Head-Fier
Just out of curiosity. I had a set of sony mdr v150 last me about 5 years and they got really beat up. Actually i'm pretty sure I still have them somewhere haha.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 27
My Gameboy (the original one) headphones are still working, and they are almost 20 year old.

And more seriously, my K701 are 3 year old and have no problems despite their daily use and having fallen on the ground repeatedly.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 27
2190 hrs, that's how long I want my ESW10's to last, 4 years at 1.5hrs a day portable use on average.
smile.gif

headphones for home-use should last forever if you handle them properly (and you will if they are expensive enough).

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a set of Senns that go back 30 years. However compared to modern 'phones the sound is grim !

30 y.o. stax still sound fabulous
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 27
I have 20 year old working Sony Headphones that came with a walkman and 15 year old earbuds that came with a discman.

The only headphones I've ever broken were my Speedlink Medusa 5.1s (pin broke on the proprietary DIN cable killing off the '.1' channel). Was a blessing really as it prompted me to borrow my colleagues HD600s to see if it was worth getting more expensive headphones. That was my 'sorry about your wallet' moment really.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Souchirou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends how well you upkeep them..

A good pair of headphones can last a lifetime.

Best answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a set of Senns that go back 30 years. However compared to modern 'phones the sound is grim !

30 y.o. stax still sound fabulous
tongue.gif

Which sennheiser? Not everything made by the right headphone company sounds even close to decent, they make plenty of crap even today. OTOH, the HD414 still hold an edge.

How do the SR-40 or SR-80 hold up the illusion of STAX not making anything worth the garbage bin? You forgot the original Alpha (the dynamic) too. Not everything made by STAX sounds great. Stax managed to get out of "average or worse" grade headphones, but they dropped a few turds on the market just like everyone else.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 27
I have 40-year-old cans working perfectly. Quality phones are built for eternity.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by schawo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 40-year-old cans working perfectly. Quality phones are built for eternity.

eternity!

that IS a long time.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the SR-40 or SR-80 hold up the illusion of STAX not making anything worth the garbage bin? You forgot the original Alpha (the dynamic) too. Not everything made by STAX sounds great. Stax managed to get out of "average or worse" grade headphones, but they dropped a few turds on the market just like everyone else.

They were the BOTL headphones, and given what you say, 3 out of their entire range of headphones they've produced in the past 40-50 years isn't bad. But, just on a hunch, I'm pretty sure the SR-40 and SR-80 are definitely not worth the garbage bin, unless not functioning properly. The SR-50 might be, though, since it's closed.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 27
Usually - as in average? I would guess somewhere around 5-7 years.
Some last for decades (50+ years), while I am sure other break down in a year or two. It all depends on the headphone (build quality) and how you take care of them.

Edit:
Missed the "you" word. Besides a SR-X/MK3 that broke down when aged ~35 no headphone have broken down on me so far. Between my 4 full size headphones the average age is somewhere around 10 years, and they all go on strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back