How long do Headphones normally last?
Sep 10, 2006 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
Kept in good condition.. I have a pair of Koss HD/65 that I bought in 90 or so..& still work to this day..& these were not keep in good condition..They used to lye everywhere usually the floor..Ofcourse I was 17 at the time of purchase & didn't care about phones them..

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 9
excluding crap that would degrade sitting on a shelf, it is TOTALLY conditional on treatment.

i have a couple akg's that are from the mid 80's at the latest, they could be older. both sound awsome.
i have a set of ety er4s. serial number in the mid 1000's.

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
Kept in good condition.. I have a pair of Koss HD/65 that I bought in 90 or so..& still work to this day..& these were not keep in good condition..They used to lye everywhere usually the floor..Ofcourse I was 17 at the time of purchase & didn't care about phones them..

the good news for you is that all Koss cans have a lifetime warranty no matter what, so as long as the company exists (and it's been around a loooooong time) your cans should last longer than, hmm, you.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
the good news for you is that all Koss cans have a lifetime warranty no matter what, so as long as the company exists (and it's been around a loooooong time) your cans should last longer than, hmm, you.
evil_smiley.gif

I have a pair of Koss Sporta Pros that I bought something like 4-5 years ago. I've long since lost the receipt or warranty paper...can I still send them in to Koss and get them repaired?

Sep 10, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 9
Interesting question this. I often wondered the following: if headphones require a burn-in time, presumably to loosen the drivers and materials up, does it then follow that after a while they will burn-out, when everything has loosened up too much?

Pluck

Sep 10, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldrogers
I have a pair of Koss Sporta Pros that I bought something like 4-5 years ago. I've long since lost the receipt or warranty paper...can I still send them in to Koss and get them repaired?

Like wnmnkh said, yup. That's the nice thing about a lifetime warranty, you don't need any paperwork to prove when you bought it.

As far as the original topic goes, I used to have a pair of Stax SR-X Mk3's, which still aside from the pads wearing out still worked fine.

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 9
Headphones can last long enough that you may not need more than 3 or 4 in your lifetime, assuming pads and all that are replaced occasionally. As we approach the 30 year mark some restorative action may be needed (e.g. replacing damping foam in crumble to dust mode), but there are 50+ year old headphones out there which with a little refresh of the magnets work just fine. (Whether you still want to use these is another question.)

Sep 10, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh
Yep, put 6$ for return shipping and send it to Koss. That's all you need to do.

Thanks. I just found that out last night reading another website after I had posted the question here. I ended up buying a pair of KSC75's for 12 bucks, since shipping the Sporta Pro's to and back from Koss would cost about the same. The Sporta's are still working, but the wiring is starting to show and the support foam has long since torn off. I replaced the ear foams but they're starting to tear as well.
How do the KSC75's sound compared to the Sporta Pro's? Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back