How long do good amps last?
Jul 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

radmanhs

100+ Head-Fier
My cousin gave me a HeadRoom Maxxed Out Home Headphone Amp, and after looking around, it has to be at least 9 years old. How long do amps like this last?

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 9
I have Headroom Max from 1997 (original cost $1333) that's still going strong. I think amps can last 25 years before the caps need replacement.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 9
I've had my Headroom Micro Amp for 60 years. It's a little rusty and i've changed some parts on it several times.
Mine was hand signed by Tyll himself back in 1967.

BTW it's too bad that Headroom stopped making amps. If mine dies i'll probably never be able to re-create it's exact sound. I guess there's always Ebay.
Is there a clone of it's sound? I haven't heard it yet.

I paid $330 for mine and feel it's worth $500.

Seriously though this amp is never going anywhere. I've loved it since day one.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 9
^^^Man, I been at this longer than I thought.

Considering your 54 years old... appearntly you can bend time...

You should call your next amp venture the "Time Machine Line". Start off with two models. 1. The Einstein (ss) 2. the Hawking (Tube). They will be the first amps to add time travel to its sense of space, soundstage and depth. Just think one could go back in time and buy New stock of the best tubes available.... I'd buy one!

:wink_face:

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 9
  ^^^Man, I been at this longer than I thought.

The man himself... Tyll, you made some sick, sick amps. I used my Max (actually, two Maxes) for 17 years straight daily and they didn't give an inch. They are still the best-looking and most solidly-built pieces of electronic equipment I've ever owned. (That volume knob!) If I ever go back to an outboard-DAC configuration I could easily start using them again, perhaps finding a way to replace the caps (which I've read is recommended for _any_ solid-state amp from 15-25 years). There are still almost no choices for somebody who wants a quality headphone amp with analog crossfeed at this level of quality... Grace, Phonitor, the list is short.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Yea they can last for years and years.  Just take care of the amps and they will take care of you.  Just have a look at the vintage tube amps still going strong from the 60's.  With a little maintenance here and there, a good quality amp could last a lifetime I would think.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back