How long do Etymotic foamies last?
Sep 23, 2004 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bunnyears

Headphoneus Supremus
I use the Etymotic Er4p headphones and frequently use the gray foamies to block out external noise. I have noticed that they don't seem to last longer than a week of continuous use, and sometimes not even that long if I have to remove and reinsert them frequently. The foam doesn't seem to degrade so much as lose its memory; it gets more and more compressed until it doesn't seal properly. They also take longer to expand and seal after inserting and removing them a few times.

Has anyone tried washing the tips? For me, earwax is not a problem, but perhaps it does affect the foam's memory.

If you leave them unused for a couple of days, do they decompress?

If anyone has any suggestions for prolonging their lives, please help!

Sep 23, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm getting about a month before they are so collapsed that I can't get a good seal. I use them about 2-3 hours a day. I tried washing the first set I used, it didn't help any.

I'm curious to see what others say.

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 9
I tried washing them. It didn't work very well.
Soap is very hard to get out of them. I also tried soaking them in very hot water. That only gave me one more good seal.
I get about 10 to 12 uses out of pair of foamies. I keep them a bit cleaner because I use foam earplugs for an hour or so before inserting the Etys. That way most of the gunk gets pulled out with the earplugs. I doubt that my method would be very convenient for home use.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 9
I just replaced mine this morning for the first time, after three MONTHS of use. They sealed but it often took them a half minute or so to do so. I thought I remembered people saying they replaced theirs every four months, so I thought I was changing them a little early this morning. Compared to your guys, I feel a bit of hygiene embarrasment. They were getting kind of nasty.

dshea

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 9
I think how long they last depends on how long you use them each time.
I should have noted that I use mine for around 6 hours or longer each time I put them in.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
I use the Etymotic Er4p headphones and frequently use the gray foamies to block out external noise. I have noticed that they don't seem to last longer than a week of continuous use, and sometimes not even that long if I have to remove and reinsert them frequently. The foam doesn't seem to degrade so much as lose its memory; it gets more and more compressed until it doesn't seal properly. They also take longer to expand and seal after inserting and removing them a few times.

Has anyone tried washing the tips? For me, earwax is not a problem, but perhaps it does affect the foam's memory.

If you leave them unused for a couple of days, do they decompress?

If anyone has any suggestions for prolonging their lives, please help!

I have found that after continuous use, my foamies also lose their memory, and start taking the shape of the ear canal. This should nto affect their performance or sealing abilities very much.

I do notice that allowing the foamies to "rest", by letting them sit out on a table or counter, will help them regain their shape a little better. Stuffing them in a headphone bag will have the opposite effect. If you use your foamies for a few hours every day, I would swap foamies every day.

The only time you really need to replace them is if the performance is affected... you lose the ability to seal, for example.

And to answer Pinchy's question, I think the triflange tips will last close to forever, with proper care and cleaning.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 9
I am pretty lucky as my ears do not produce lots of 'gunk' but never the less
the foamies do absorb some material over time.

My technique for cleaning the foamies is to immerse them in extremely hot water and give a good squeezing to clean them.
Once done I squeeze out as much of the water as possible then dry by
holding them up close to a hair dryer set on high temperature.

All this applied heat does wonders for re inflating the foam and returns them close to their original form.

Setmenu

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 9
i know this is a really old post but I wanted to know some more info

I get much better comfort with the fomies and am also looking to make them last as long as possible. Has anyone tried cleaning them with rubbing alcohol? that would get rid of bacteria pretty easily...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back