How long do Comply tips last?
Jun 12, 2008 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

souledout

New Head-Fier
I just received my UM1 today and the Comply tips that came with them blow Shure olives away in comfort. I've read that the olives last longer and are washable. How long do the Comply tips last? This is a noob question also since I'm not familiar with them, but how will I know they need to be replaced?

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 11
If yours are anything like the Comply T400 I tried, you'll notice little flakes of the foam, on the most forward part, coming off within a week or two. Olives are certainly more durable.

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 11
I've stretched them to 2 months (T-400) before they become far too squishy.

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Hmm, that sucks about the durability. I really like them and find them really comfortable. The tips that came with the UM1 are the platinum ones. Any difference in durability between them and other Comply tips?

Guess i'll have to buy some more olives.

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 11
If you keep your ears clean (obviously), and especially if you keep your hands clean when you handle them, they might be serviceable a bit longer.

If I had to pick one tip for one listening session, it would be the Complys (shorts for my ER6i's and regulars for my Atrio M5s). I try to use new/fresh Complys before a long plane flight or other occasion where I want to have comfort and good sound for a long listening session. But especially if I will be taking the earphones out frequently, the Shures certainly do last much longer (just not quite as comfortable, for me, anyway).

By "platinum," so you mean the gray Complys? They seem to be pretty much the same. Also, as with any foamy, keep yours sealed against the elements -- air will eventually dry them out a bit even if you're not wearing them.

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Love-Music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I clean them from time to time, and it's been 3 months now, everything's ok.

With what?

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With what?

I'd like to know also :p

LaBreaHead - Yeah, the gray ones I guess. The ones that came with my UM1. I looked at ebay for some prices on Complys and I found 3 pairs for 12$ shipped so I decided to get 6 pairs. Pricey considering 5 pairs of olives can be had for 2 bucks more but the Complys are more comfortable to me.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 11
to avoid squishing, try licking them lightly and pushing them in. It's interesting because they seal so much better to me. Also my olives dont show any signs of deformation. :] Just don't tell my sister, I'm giving her my Shures. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back