How long did you stay awake when you got your first amp?
May 20, 2003 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Leeco

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my first amp. Penguin CMOY. I know it is not much compaired to you guys here… But still, now I am listening to all my records with Grado’s and then with Ety’s again…
I am just afraid it will take all night
biggrin.gif

Well, I guess I deserve to look like crap in the morning if I can’t switch my music off ...

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 20, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 18
I don't really recall how long my first amp kept me up, but since I got my nOrh SE9 and AKG K1000, I've regularly been up past 2:00 AM...and I have to be to work by 8:00 AM!!!

May 20, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 18
It isn't the amp exactly. IMO, when you first listen to your setup you are starting to really hear the music. You hear things that you never heard before. You hear what the artist and engineer intended. This is where it all begins when you glimpse how music should sound and you are on a journey to find what is perfect to your ears.

May 20, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 18
Actually when I first got my META42 I didn't really stay up late. It arrived before my HD580's (because JMT is so near me) so all I had to test it out were my Portapro's. Hrm. Not too impressive, I couldn't really tell the difference. I told myself not to get depressed and wait until my "real" phones arrived before making any judgements.

That's when the fun began
smily_headphones1.gif
I agree it's not really just the amp, but all your new stuff combined allowing you to hear music like you never have before.

May 21, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 18
Don't feel like you "ONLY" have a CMOY...what you have is already better than 99% of the planet. Realize that
smily_headphones1.gif
As for late night listening sessions...this happens to me often enough. When I first received my RS-1's I only slept about 4 hours in 3 days. I was very addicted, thank goodness I was just finishing up some midterms
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 18
I wouldnt even say first amp just any decent sized upgrade, im receiving my first amp in about a week or so, so im pumped for that but even worse, I listen to my grado SR-80s EVERY night before i go to bed and i just found out while i was going to bed that my 10yr old sister took them out of my cd player in my room this morning and brought them to some place outisde NYC on her BIKING TRIP until Friday, she didnt ask me and im not sure how theylll come back, thats causing alot more insomnia for me than most upgrades.

May 21, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 18
It’s like any other addiction: just one more (album) won’t hurt. It really is terrible though the better my system gets the less I can concentrate on anything besides the music.

May 21, 2003 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks!
biggrin.gif
I feel much better already. The morning is the hardest thing... But the evenings seems to be sweetest with the amp.

BoardC3, I hope you get your SR80 back without too much mud on them.
tongue.gif

One more question...
Is it me, or is the sound improvement with the amp very hard to describe in general. It's not really hights, mids, bass, soundstage... but the sound just comes alive.
I was actually starting to get bored with my cans untill I got the amp. Now they are singing like new.
evil_smiley.gif
Another sleepless night ahead I guess...

May 21, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 18
i slept an average of three or four hours a night last week, because on monday my new source came. it completely changed the sound of my system and i continue to be amazed by it on a daily basis. one night i came home and didn't leave my chair for four hours straight. thank goodness for having a bunch of cds within my reach.
biggrin.gif

enjoy your new amp, as you may find that it's all you'll ever need. keep that in mind before buying anything silly.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
I wouldnt even say first amp just any decent sized upgrade, im receiving my first amp in about a week or so, so im pumped for that but even worse, I listen to my grado SR-80s EVERY night before i go to bed and i just found out while i was going to bed that my 10yr old sister took them out of my cd player in my room this morning and brought them to some place outisde NYC on her BIKING TRIP until Friday, she didnt ask me and im not sure how theylll come back, thats causing alot more insomnia for me than most upgrades.

LOL, Funniest post I've read in a long time
biggrin.gif
Hopefully they'll make it back to you in one piece
smily_headphones1.gif
I would flay my little brother alive if he took any of my headphones without permission. Heck I'd flay anyone who took them
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 18
Ya it sounds like im joking mad but i get really PO'ed when anyone goes into my room without asking, but taking the most used thing in there gets me realllllllllly mad

May 22, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 18
BoardC3:

Your sister 'borowing' your Grado's without permission is a bummer. But look at this way, you're exposing her to good sounds and another potential member of headfi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back