How long can you wear headphones?
Sep 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

tvrboy

1000+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone has the same problem I do... after about an hour of listening to music with full-size headphones I get a really wierd feeling like my ears are claustrophobic and I have to take them off. It just feels a wrong to wear them after a while. I listen at low levels and I have had comfortable headphones (HD-650 and SA5K) so I dunno if I'm going crazy or what....

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 46
I can wear my dt770s for 8-12 hours without problems, unless Im listening to bassheavy music or something like that
I could probably wear them forever if I had to.. Ive never felt like taking them off cuz of the comfort or claustrophobia

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 46
I'm not a big fan of leaving IEMs in for longer than an hour.

As for full sized phones, I regularly wear my Denon D2000s between 5 and 6 hours per day, 5 days per week with absolutely no issues at all. If I were to go for a guiness world record for how long one could wear a pair of headphones, the D2000s would be on my list of candidates for the experiment (along with the Grado GS-1s with bagel pads, and the Sony MDR-F1s).

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 46
I get disorientated like that, my theory is that it is because the headphones are stationary in relation to your head. When you listen to speakers, you turn your head, the sound moves in the opposite direction of your head, just as we've always known sound to behave in real life. Turn your head with headphones, it follows your head, disorientating kind of like if you tried turning your head to the left while moving your eyes to the right (I don't recommend doing that too much, can cause headaches). If that is your problem, the only solution I can think of is to either get used to it, switch to speakers, or try the $3000 SVS realiser which has headtracking.

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 46
No limitations here with any sort of discomfort but I have always used open back headphones. I also wear IEMs on planes for several hours at a time with no issues.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 46
I can wear my (current) phones for 8hours straight. I don't notice them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 46
When I first started using my SR325is' after about an hour the top of my head would start to hurt from the headband, then shortly after the upper portions of my ear and lobes would start to hurt from the pads. I think my head has adjusted to them though, it seems I can wear them for longer periods now.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 46
I wear my DT880's for hours non-stop, 6-7 days a week. Although very comfy, in the beginning i had to get used to circumaural cans. Adjusting the position several times per hour, now its natural and i don't even notice them.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 46
I have had sessions lasting up to 6-7 hours or more, without any ear fatigue.
Mostly dependent on the comfort of the headphones and the volume of the music played..

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 46
I listen at a really low level and with AD1000PRM. How long can I wear them? When do I sleep now?
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 46
@tvrboy: Maybe you're getting this strange feeling because the sound feels like it's coming out of the center of your head. If that's the case, a crossfeed plugin for you music player should do the trick.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 46
The only thing that bothers me is when I have lots of stubble, my headphones pull on it and after awhile my face starts to hurt a little bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back