How long can/should I expect IEMs to last?
May 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

PanpandaChan

100+ Head-Fier
So I've had pretty bad luck with IEMs in the past.

Broke two mid-high end Sony MDR-EX somethings within a 3 month period. Although I will admit I wore those to bed.

Next up were the Brainwavz M2s. First one lasted me about 5 months before one ear went out, replacement pair lasted only 1-2 months. Never wore these to bed or during any kind of sport/workout. Always kept them in the case when they weren't in my ears...

In between all of this, several <$20 IEMs died on me (about.. 4 pairs if I remember correctly). These were just random pairs I had as gifts and were laying around the house. Cant be surprised about these dying I guess.

So now I'm apprehensive about spending any cash on IEMs. I've been searching for more durable IEMs. Thought about getting the Shure SE215s since the reviews were nice (I like a bit more bass in ear) and they had replaceable cables. But then I read complaints about defective cables and noticed a new cable would cost me $30 anyway...

I've also looked into the V Moda Remix and the Jlabs J4s. Both claim durability but I still see reviews on amazon that complain about them breaking. Plus I haven't found many good professional reviews on either IEMs online.

Am I asking for too much? I'd like for a pair of IEMs to last me at least two years with normal usage.
I dont mind spending $100-200 on something like the Shures or UE Triplefi, but if IEMs can only be expected to last <1year, I'd rather just buy a few of the $6 Panasonics I'm using right now. I only need IEMs for the warm seasons anyway, all other times I go for my Aiaiai TMA-1s.

May 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 12
Just look for a pair with good warranty and/or replaceable cable. I've only had problems with Skullcandy earphones but they come with lifetime warranty anyway.

My pair of low end Sony clip-on is 5 years and still going strong, despite durability being a concern among many reviews. Guess it's more of a luck thing.

May 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 12
There are plenty of IEMs between $6 ones and $200 ones. A higher price often doesn't mean better durability. There are some IEMs in the $20-50 range that provide great value. There are  IEMs under $10 that are quite good for the price, such as the Panasonic RP-HJE140 and the JVC Riptidz.

How are you breaking all these IEMs? Are you using them while doing extreme sports? When doing extreme sports you should use a cheap IEM and a cheap player.When you are able to be more careful with them, using more expensive ones may make sense. Do you use a cable clip to clip the IEM cable  to your shirt? In the past I broke many earphones by dropping them too often.  Are you also breaking many players? If so, you should get a good cheap player like the Sandisk Clip+.

May 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 12
For me the point of failure is usually the cable, either at the plug or at the ear buds. If I wiggle the cable around, then I'll have sound back again in whichever side was previously failing.

With the Brainwavz, I opened one up after it failed and I saw that the solder point of the driver and cable had failed. The cable was just dangling around in the housing. Turns out, all they do for strain relief on the Brainwavz M2 is tie a knot on the cable on the inside of the casing. So if the knot is tied too far from the cable's hole or too close to the driver, tugging on the cable will mean tugging directly against the solder point. ****ty design, not going back to those.

And I already said, I dont use these IEMs during any sport or workout. I use them when I'm walking down the street or sitting on the train.
Any other time, they sit in their case.
Oh and I wear my IEMs looped over my ear, not straight down. Although I'm under the impression this should add to durability rather than hurt it, considering it turns my ear into a strain relief lol.

Never broke any players/cellphones/etc. Had the sansa clip (the now rare, original version with the mirrored silver finish which I loved), worked great till i lost it one day ):

EDIT: And yea, now I'm looking at warranties more closely when deciding what I want. What are some authorized dealers of UE tf10s besides Amazon? I'm trying to avoid paying $20 in taxes lol >.>

May 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
For me the point of failure is usually the cable, either at the plug or at the ear buds. If I wiggle the cable around, then I'll have sound back again in whichever side was previously failing.

With the Brainwavz, I opened one up after it failed and I saw that the solder point of the driver and cable had failed. The cable was just dangling around in the housing. Turns out, all they do for strain relief on the Brainwavz M2 is tie a knot on the cable on the inside of the casing. So if the knot is tied too far from the cable's hole or too close to the driver, tugging on the cable will mean tugging directly against the solder point. ****ty design, not going back to those.

And I already said, I dont use these IEMs during any sport or workout. I use them when I'm walking down the street or sitting on the train.
Any other time, they sit in their case.
Oh and I wear my IEMs looped over my ear, not straight down. Although I'm under the impression this should add to durability rather than hurt it, considering it turns my ear into a strain relief lol.

Never broke any players/cellphones/etc. Had the sansa clip (the now rare, original version with the mirrored silver finish which I loved), worked great till i lost it one day ):

EDIT: And yea, now I'm looking at warranties more closely when deciding what I want. What are some authorized dealers of UE tf10s besides Amazon? I'm trying to avoid paying $20 in taxes lol >.>

Judging from the way you handle your IEM's with care, I think you just have some bad luck....
How exactly do you store your IEM's in the case? Do you wrap them around your player? Or you use the three-finger wrap?

May 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Loose 3 finger wrap. When i used to have the clip, i'd just put it in the little mesh elastic section of the case where you normally put tips. After I lost it, nothing else went in the case with my Brainwavz since my cellphone stays in my pocket anyway. Oh and the case with IEM always went in my bag, in a smaller pocket, away from all the heavy crap in my bag.

Maybe it is just bad luck, but damn =.=

I really love the sound signature of my Aiaiai TMA-1s but theyre not comfortable for me to wear once the temperature starts rising past the 70s like it has been recently.
Never had an issue with those headphones either. Probably especially cause I make my own cables for it, so even if something were to happen, its a quick fix with a soldering iron :|

I'm just hoping once I move away from Chinese companies and sub $50 IEMs, I'll find something that lasts longer.
Judging by people's disbelief of how I easily go through IEMs, its not the norm for IEMs in general to break within a year, is this correct?

May 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 12
Cheap buds will kick pretty reliably within a relatively short period of time with regular use. Of course there are exceptions, but those are not the rule. They are the exceptions. If you move up in the price range a bit and get a nicer set (perhaps with replaceable cables), then you will probably find that the useful lifespan increases markedly.

I have had Triple Fis for years now, and they used to be my primary earphones several upgrades ago. No driver failures. Some cable problems, but the cable is replaceable for a reason.

May 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 12
Imo the Japanese brands Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Audio Technica, Yamaha, etc.  typically have better build quality than the Chinese brands. Of course there are exceptions to this.

I never had the type of cable problems you describe.

I noticed that earphones with a right angle plug typically put much less stress on the plug and on the player's jack.

Have you noticed any difference in longevity of earphones with a right angle plug compared to those with a straight plug?

Perhaps you should make sure the next earphones you buy have good strain reliefs?

May 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 12
Since the cable is the most common point of failure (this is true for most people), find a pair of headphones with a removable cable and a decent warranty. That way, even if the cable breaks outside of the warrant, it's only a $20 fix instead of a new pair of headphones.

If you tell us what types of music you like and what sound you are looking for, I'm sure we could recommend something with good build and sound quality to match your tastes.

May 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 12
I've gotten to the point where i can get my EDC IEMs to last ~2 years every day in my pocket. the trick is just getting a good pocket case. I use an altoids gum tin lined in duck tape. it doesn't take up too much more space than just the headphones, is slim, cheap, and tough. Got my somewhat flimsy addiems to last 2+ years, and they only failed after i caught them on my reel whilst casting while fishing. Before then i went through IEMs pretty fast as well.

Another thing to do is delegate uses. Use cheap but good sounding iEMs for the gym/running or just beaters (like i should have been doing while fishing), like some philips she3850. Then get some solidly built IEMs for quality listening.

Just from personal experience i'd suggest the TF.10. I just got my triplie.fi 10s, but i've had super.fi 5s for years. they've got a similar build, and they've lasted quite some time - i've only changed the cable once since then. completely impractical for every day carry (i've literally always got a pair of IEMs in my pocket), as the case is huge and chunky, but i'd chuck them in my backpack or laptop case. I've worn them to the gym, walking the dogs, and at the desk, still going strong. i would expect the triple.fi 10 to last as long, and cables aren't that expensive (fiio even makes a replacement cable).

I would definitely look into getting a decent yet convenient case. try the altoids gum tin, provided you have IEMs that fit in them (UEs won't). it'll only set you back a buck or two. no matter what phones you buy, if you're hard on them and they won't last very long.

May 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 12
For cable issues run the cable under your shirt, keeps it out of the way from snags, always take the buds out from the housing, don't pull on the cable. Use the three finger / loose wind up technic and always......always keep them in a storage container when not used.

May 7, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 12
So from what everyone is telling me so far. I think I really have just had some bad luck. I cared for my Brainwavz as much as I could, following all the tips that you guys have mentioned here.

As for my tastes in music, it ranges from rock all the way to house music lol. Currently I'm more into R&B/hip hop, so thats why I want something with more bass. Would be good for house music too.

Thats why I've been debating between the Shure SE215 and UE TF.10
I've heard both have a "fun" sound signature with tight impactful bass.

I like the UE for the cable connector design after reading about the issues Shure IEMs have with the connector.
Although I'm not sure if the difference in SQ is worth the price for me. Mainly since I currently play music from my HTC G2 with PowerAmp app. Not the greatest source.
Also, most of my music is mp3 instead of FLAC, just because its hard to find FLAC versions sometimes.
But I do love having the best, or at least really really good stuff haha. And I've been wanting to upgrade to a Cowon player for a long time now. Put those thoughts on hold due to curiosity in the Fiio mp3 player which got horribly delayed...

I wasnt aware that fiio made a cable for the UEs though. Going to google that now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back