How long before street price of HD-650 comes down?
Nov 25, 2003 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fredfrankin

New Head-Fier
Any idea? Next summer?

I'm considering buying my first 'high end' cans, not sure whether to buy the cheaper 600's or pop for the 650's. I only listen to classical music.

Fred

Nov 25, 2003 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 8
I dont think the price on the 650 will come down for some time; meaning well beyond next summer. Which one should you get? I have the hd650 and I find it nearly perfect for my taste. I have heard the 600/ equinox and its also extremely good, but you are now back to the same price as the 650 for that combo and more. If you plan to keep your headphones for a lenghty time I would pick the 650 myself. Its as good or better than the 600 with a cable upgrade, and you can naturally do the cable upgrade with the 650 as well, at a later time, or when finances allow. With either you will need a good amp to drive them properly. Furthermore, a good source is essential with any top notch headphone to get the most out of them.

Nov 25, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Boy.... i think you might be in for a wait. Perhaps it might drop down a bit by next summer. but i suspect it'll still be around $400.

You mentioned that this is your first "hi-fi" phones. Is it your first "hi-fi" system as well? Whether you have the requisite equipments is important to your decision. Without a high grade system, I expect that the sonic distinction between HD 650 and HD 600 will be minimal.

My guess is that the HD 650 might be a good choice if you have a source component (ex. CD player) and a headphone amp that are >$600 each.

If not, the HD 600 will be plenty for your money. Plus, its price-to-performance ratio is - in my humble opinion - second to none.

Enjoy!
600smile.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 8
About one year before you see any changes at all, three or four years before the price is at the HD600's current point.

It's not worth waiting, just buy one now
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 8
> Is it your first "hi-fi" system as well?

Nope - I've got horns, custom parafeed globe moly plate 10 amp driven by WE101D, S&B stepups/TVC and a custom turntable. But, with kids around the house, I think I need some cans to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

I've designed and am building a headphone integrated amp, 6j4 parafeed phono to a Valvo Aa - 112A OPT.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and get the 650

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
I dont think the price on the 650 will come down for some time; meaning well beyond next summer. Which one should you get? I have the hd650 and I find it nearly perfect for my taste. I have heard the 600/ equinox and its also extremely good, but you are now back to the same price as the 650 for that combo and more. If you plan to keep your headphones for a lenghty time I would pick the 650 myself. Its as good or better than the 600 with a cable upgrade, and you can naturally do the cable upgrade with the 650 as well, at a later time, or when finances allow. With either you will need a good amp to drive them properly. Furthermore, a good source is essential with any top notch headphone to get the most out of them.

Are you implying that the stock cable on the 650 is better than the stock on the 600?

Nov 25, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by fredfrankin
>
Maybe I should bite the bullet and get the 650

Well then... maybe team HD 650 will have a new member soon.

It really all depends on how much time you'll be spending on listening with headphones. If this is merely to suppliment your main speakers rig, then maybe the HD 600 would be plentiful. You can save around $150 for LPs or CDs. On the other hand, if you are planning on some heavy duty headphone sessions, then the HD 650 might be a better choice.

Life is filled with tough decisions ..... but its sure fun ain't it?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back