How large is your iTunes library?
Jul 6, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #31 of 50
OK, I'll play. . .

I have 72719 songs, 237 days, 637 GB. Mostly 320 mp3s. About 20% of that is live recordings from archive.org (and other legal live bootleg sources). About 5% are my wifes and kids tunes. I must have an illness because I keep adding to my library. . . I've got all my CD's on now, and am about 1/4 way through my LPs. Doing LP's is costly in either time or money - I've found myself buying lots of CDs because it is easier and faster than ripping an LP, and nowdays a surprising amount of it is available on CD (but I digress). Yes, I've been doing this for awhile, but I love that point and click interface to my music! I use iTunes on a Mac G5 feeding a benchmark DAC1 via optical (which then feeds both my headphones and my speaker setup). One nice thing about a large music library, and getting older, is that I keep discovering wonderful music I'd completely forgotten about. Pointing and clicking is alot easier way of rediscovering these forgotten gems.
I have six 500GB drives, configured as three 1TB stripped raid groups (actual usable capacity about 930 GB each). I know that striped raid groups are not the most reliable things in the world, but I like having all my music appear to logically be on one disk. I use one raid group for my day to day listening. I have a second group connected to my home computer which I use as a backup. I have the third raid group on my office computer. Hey, you have to have music at work, and this serves as my offsite backup. Every once in a while I'll update one (or both) of my backup raid groups. I prefer to manually make backups - this way I'm a little more protected against user error (I'd hate to have mirrored raid groups and have my mistake automatically mirrored to my backup!)
This may not be the best setup, but so far it has worked for me. It has saved my butt twice so far - once when one of the disks failed, and once when I accidently deleted a bunch of stuff I wanted to keep. I think I have enough free space to last me a year or so. By then I'm sure bigger and cheaper storage will be available (and I'll have to spend a couple of days transitioning - again).

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
OK, I'll play. . .

I have 72719 songs, 237 days, 637 GB. Mostly 320 mp3s. About 20% of that is live recordings from archive.org (and other legal live bootleg sources). About 5% are my wifes and kids tunes. I must have an illness because I keep adding to my library. . . I've got all my CD's on now, and am about 1/4 way through my LPs. Doing LP's is costly in either time or money - I've found myself buying lots of CDs because it is easier and faster than ripping an LP, and nowdays a surprising amount of it is available on CD (but I digress). Yes, I've been doing this for awhile, but I love that point and click interface to my music! I use iTunes on a Mac G5 feeding a benchmark DAC1 via optical (which then feeds both my headphones and my speaker setup). One nice thing about a large music library, and getting older, is that I keep discovering wonderful music I'd completely forgotten about. Pointing and clicking is alot easier way of rediscovering these forgotten gems.
I have six 500GB drives, configured as three 1TB stripped raid groups (actual usable capacity about 930 GB each). I know that striped raid groups are not the most reliable things in the world, but I like having all my music appear to logically be on one disk. I use one raid group for my day to day listening. I have a second group connected to my home computer which I use as a backup. I have the third raid group on my office computer. Hey, you have to have music at work, and this serves as my offsite backup. Every once in a while I'll update one (or both) of my backup raid groups. I prefer to manually make backups - this way I'm a little more protected against user error (I'd hate to have mirrored raid groups and have my mistake automatically mirrored to my backup!)
This may not be the best setup, but so far it has worked for me. It has saved my butt twice so far - once when one of the disks failed, and once when I accidently deleted a bunch of stuff I wanted to keep. I think I have enough free space to last me a year or so. By then I'm sure bigger and cheaper storage will be available (and I'll have to spend a couple of days transitioning - again).

Wow! I bow to the master. I'm a Mac guy myself, and right now I'm using the new dual-core Mac Mini (faster than my old SP 1.8g G5) while I anxiously await the new towers. I have been considering using a DAC for the optical out also, but for now am using a USB DAC.

I am afraid of RAID for my collection, I'm an IT guy, do the math. I commend you though, I am impressed.

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
My music libray on my work laptop consists of 55 albums, 621 songs, and it takes up a grand total of 3.52GB.

Hmmm... Here I have 55 albums and 636 songs for a total of 5.97GB. These are ripped 320kbps, though. The ones at work are 192kbps.

I don't use iToonz on this PC. I only use it on my other PC for getting stuff onto my iPood.

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #37 of 50
2,227 songs at just shy of 15 gig. 80% of it at 192 - 256 kbps AAC/mp4. At one time it was much higher in terms of number of tracks and file size (about 90 gig) as I had ripped my entire CD collection to Apple Lossless and then re-encoded to AAC. However due to that hard drive going toes up and all but two box sets of CDs being stolen all I'm left with are the above mentioned tunes. Though I am finding myself pruning that list slowly of things that are either really shoddy quality or things that I just don't listen to anymore. The one side benefit to all of this is I don't have to mess with creating a play list just for my iPod so I can fit most of my music onto it
cool.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
OK, I'll play. . .
I have 72719 songs, 237 days, 637 GB.

Wow, that is a huge collection. I (only) have about 12000 FLAC and OGG files taking up about 250 GB.

I currently have backups spanning over several smaller hard drives. I definitely need a better solution.

Jul 6, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #39 of 50
10,613 ALAC songs, 282GB on Seagate 400GB External Hard Drive.

Itunes.

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you really don't hear a gap still? maybe it's all in my head. well the saddest thing for me is that when i put it on my ipod, it definitely brings back the gap. bah, they should have the crossfeed option on the ipod too!

Jahn, why don't you use the Multiplugin with iTunes? This will then use Foobar's engine and Foobar does perfect gapless. I think that should work. I believe this will also bring down your RAM usage if that is any concern. (EDIT: If you do go this way, use Foobar 0.8.3, I don't think this plugin has been updated for Foobar 0.9.x)

And last I checked no portable did gapless audio other than Rio Karma and Sony players with ATRAC. Does Rockbox do gapless?

Jul 7, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #41 of 50
400 gb mp3+1.2 lossless.

All external, linux box + miniMac frontend.

Jul 8, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #43 of 50
90,000 songs? How many of them are good though? Seriously. That's a lot of music.
wink.gif

I have no use for iTunes either. What is it? A bigger Winamp?

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinger1182
And last I checked no portable did gapless audio other than Rio Karma and Sony players with ATRAC. Does Rockbox do gapless?

rockbox does gapless.

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
90,000 songs? How many of them are good though? Seriously. That's a lot of music.
wink.gif

I have no use for iTunes either. What is it? A bigger Winamp?

How do you know you have no use for it if you don't know what it is? This isn't an iTunes bashing thread, I'm sure there are many here if search for them. Thank you for keeping the thread on subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back