How It All Ends - Climate Change Video
Feb 1, 2008 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

revan

100+ Head-Fier
Have any of you stumbled across this series of videos?

YouTube - wonderingmind42's Channel

I discovered them a week ago and found this guy's thesis very interesting. He has created over 40 videos discussing the problem and refuting skeptical arguments against it. No matter what you initial stance is on climate change, I think it is important that you become as educated as possible before solidifying your opinions.

I'm not attempting to drag this forum into a destructive political or inappropriate debate - and if this isn't the member's lounge isn't the right place for this then please delete and accept my apologies - I just wanted to pass along some info that I think is pretty interesting and important.

Revan

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 67
Terrible premise, no matter what your stance. He states that no matter the odds, we must choose the outcome whose possible negative consequences are an easier pill to swallow, despite overwhelming evidence in favor of the stance whose outcome has a worse possible negative consequence.

To invent a comparison, I could say that I could have a computer randomly generate a number between 1 and 10,000. If it chooses 10,000, you will be killed, but if it chooses any other number, you will receive one million dollars. Sure, the negative consequence of the first option is worse, but no one in his right mind would turn down the contest (knowing full well that it is completely legitimate, etc.). Think you wouldn't? Well, would you let the computer randomly generate a number between 1 and 84, if it chooses 84 you die, and if it chooses any other number you . . . drive your car as much as the average American for the rest of your life? Because if you drive, well, you're already participating in that contest. Since the possible negative consequence of driving is so severe, shouldn't we all be taking planes, trains, and elevators everywhere?

You have to look at risk vs. reward -- he ignores both and simply ruminates about the theoretical bad implications of one choice while completely ignoring the risk and reward factors involved.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 67
The compelling thing about the video is really all the other video's he has produced countering the skeptical arguments. I think if you are willing to spend time viewing the initial video, then you owe it to yourself to view them all (in for a penny . . . ), after you do - ask the questions "Is my opinion different?"

Revan

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 67
So, being a self absorbed person, the earth will check out at the precise moment I do. Natural causes withstanding.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 67
My everyday life is not affected by this issue. Therefore, regardless of the possible (and probably remote) risk that we're doomed, the motivation to change, at least for me, is zero.

In my personal opinion, there are bigger issues right now. This guy is ignoring them.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 67
Global warming or not, take the increase in population and wealth, and combine it with how humans wallow in Earths natural resources without second thoughts... All happened in a VERY short time.

IMO it's not hard to see that something must go very wrong in the future if we continue as we do...

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 67
Meh. Nothing serious will happen during my lifetime. If I ever have kids, maybe I'll start to care. We've got more pressing matters to attend to as humans. There is genocide, epidemic and famine all over the world we should deal with first. Global warming isn't killing anybody yet, but all those things I mentioned kill thousands every day. Let's get our priorities straight...

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by wes.coleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh. Nothing serious will happen during my lifetime. If I ever have kids, maybe I'll start to care. We've got more pressing matters to attend to as humans. There is genocide, epidemic and famine all over the world we should deal with first. Global warming isn't killing anybody yet, but all those things I mentioned kill thousands every day. Let's get our priorities straight...

Nothing serious will happen during YOUR lifetime?? So, then you can justify to just dont give a s**t??

Yeah! Way to go! Who cares about the next generation anyway?
mad.gif

I have a 5 months old daughter, and statements like that scares me.

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 67
I want to re-emphasize that I didn't want to stir a debate in these forums - it's pointless, my intent is to provide the link to educate yourself on the issue (I'm sure there are other competing/differing/agreeing viewpoints).

Before you respond with a glib dismissal - you should really invest the time and watch all the short videos. I think the contributors to this forum are on the whole more intelligent than the average Joe Sixpack, and as such, would have a greater capacity to think things through - if nothing else.

Revan

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terrible premise, no matter what your stance. He states that no matter the odds, we must choose the outcome whose possible negative consequences are an easier pill to swallow, despite overwhelming evidence in favor of the stance whose outcome has a worse possible negative consequence.

To invent a comparison, I could say that I could have a computer randomly generate a number between 1 and 10,000. If it chooses 10,000, you will be killed, but if it chooses any other number, you will receive one million dollars. Sure, the negative consequence of the first option is worse, but no one in his right mind would turn down the contest (knowing full well that it is completely legitimate, etc.). Think you wouldn't? Well, would you let the computer randomly generate a number between 1 and 84, if it chooses 84 you die, and if it chooses any other number you . . . drive your car as much as the average American for the rest of your life? Because if you drive, well, you're already participating in that contest. Since the possible negative consequence of driving is so severe, shouldn't we all be taking planes, trains, and elevators everywhere?

You have to look at risk vs. reward -- he ignores both and simply ruminates about the theoretical bad implications of one choice while completely ignoring the risk and reward factors involved.

He's right though, global warming is real, and people who deny it are stupid, like the people that deny smoking has any health risks. Note, I am not bashing smokers, rather the people who deny that smoking increases the risk of health problem if you otherwise did not smoke. There is a difference.

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by revan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the contributors to this forum are on the whole more intelligent than the average Joe Sixpack, and as such, would have a greater capacity to think things through - if nothing else.

With the bleak and apathetic sentiments we've seen in this thread alone, perhaps you should think through most people's general capacity to think of anyone but themselves.
frown.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing serious will happen during YOUR lifetime?? So, then you can justify to just dont give a s**t??

Yeah! Way to go! Who cares about the next generation anyway?
mad.gif

I have a 5 months old daughter, and statements like that scares me.

Not caring about global warming =/= not caring about the next generation. There are much scarier things than global warming affecting us right now. And secondly, I'm not sure we'll be able to do much against the warming that has already occurred.

Feb 1, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

...I'm not sure we'll be able to do much against the warming that has already occurred.

Of course not... it's already happened/happening. But there are hundreds of small little things that require nothing more than minor changes to the way you do things. I'm not sure if they have a "green box" program in effect where you are (effectively compost collection), but in my family, we average only a single bag of actual garbage every other week. Everything else is recycled, composted at home, or sent to the curb for compost collection (they can take things like unrecyclable pulp/paper and meats/fats, diapers, etc.).

And that's just a single example. Old habits die hard, but they make way quickly to new ones!

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

I'm not sure we'll be able to do much against the warming that has already occurred.

This is just one reason that we must do something about it now, and not wait until its too late. But unfortunately, I guess that's human nature...

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 67
For right now, though, the Earth is doing all right. Global climate change right now is very minuscule, and we've got ****-tons of resources left. New oil fields are being discovered faster than we can use them, and hell, we're sitting on the Saudi Arabia of coal here in the USA. Alternative energy will play a big part in the next 100 years as we learn cheaper and more efficient ways to use our resources. Water will be an issue over in the Middle East, though, and lots of people are still living in poverty globally. Genocide is another big one. The situation in Africa with epidemics, etc: Malaria is coming back and people are still ignorant about DDT use. We need to focus on issues like these. I don't understand why people talk about global warming like it's doomsday. We have plenty to keep our hands full now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back