How is this for a future setup?
Dec 4, 2004 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

null

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys! Well, my birthday is in March and saving money I get from Hanukkah, I think I can scrounge up enough for...

Maxed-out Vinnie Rossi modded Toshiba 3950 (I already own this) > Kimber Kable mini-rca (Already own) > Sonic Impact T-Amp > AKG K-1000!!

Of course the K-1000s would be used; I would sell my a900s and considering k1000s can be found on the forums used for ~$475 this isn't a bad deal...

Anyway, my question is should I go and do this? Will the modded 3950 be a good enough source to get me through until I upgrade probably years from now?

...It was either this or a Perreaux + CD3K setup I had in mind, but I don't know if the 3K's are worth it.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Hey guys! Well, my birthday is in March and saving money I get from Hanukkah, I think I can scrounge up enough for...

Maxed-out Vinnie Rossi modded Toshiba 3950 (I already own this) > Kimber Kable mini-rca (Already own) > Sonic Impact T-Amp > AKG K-1000!!

Of course the K-1000s would be used; I would sell my a900s and considering k1000s can be found on the forums used for ~$475 this isn't a bad deal...

Anyway, my question is should I go and do this? Will the modded 3950 be a good enough source to get me through until I upgrade probably years from now?

...It was either this or a Perreaux + CD3K setup I had in mind, but I don't know if the 3K's are worth it.

I imagine the cd3k+tube amp would sound really great. It would tame the cd3k harsh highs and actually make it listenable

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 7
The k1000 is said to be one of the most source-dependent phones IIRC, and the toshiba may not be up to par . . . but I can't really comment without personal experience. Sounds like overkill to me, but I'm not really an expert.

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 7
my 3960 with the swenson mods was up to the task. Tushi to Solo to K1000 = delicious. Personally I think the 3960 should be just fine - but of course once he gets the cans and the amp, what's the next target in the upgrade chain? the source. so even if it's capable, there might be a new source in his future anyhow...

this is head-fi. i'm sorry about his wallet.

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Don't worry. I've been sorry about my wallet for almost a year now.
biggrin.gif
I think that is the way I will go, so that leaves me with good upgrade options for the future (better source + amp).

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 7
March is still far off. Maybe hear what more people with K1000 say about the T-amp.

The thing you gotta watch out with K1000 is bad treble combo. I'm not that fond of the Toshiba treble but it's kind of recessed so that could make it fine with K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back