How is the Yuin PK1 at very low volumes?
Oct 14, 2009 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JohnnyLightOn

100+ Head-Fier
Because of my tinnitus I prefer to listen only to earbuds or clipons, and only at very low volumes. Right now my sources are an iPhone 3GS and a Sansa Fuze. My earbuds are Sennheiser MX760 which I love with the Fuze and like with the iPhone. But even on the quietest setting they are a bit too loud on the iPhone when there is zero background noise.

What are the PK1s like at very low volume? Would they be an improvement over the Senns straight out of my iPhone? Thanks!

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 7
If anyone who has the PK1 could try them out with their iPhone or any other source at very low volume I would be grateful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Ok, I've interrupted my normally scheduled listening on my AMP3 to check this out. I've only ever listened to the PK1's through the AMP3 (for this I'll use my Ipod Touch) so I don't really know what they sound like unamped so...

They actually sound pretty good. Very good in fact! Still with the punchy bass and nicely extended treble, generally good detail and everything is nicely balanced. Even at low volume I can still hear the kick of the bass, which doesn't always come through at low volumes using other phones. I'm using Metallica's Greatest Hits. I'm no great Metallica fan, but it's the only album on my Ipod. As I said, I use my AMP3 for audio. I need to say, that to have it at the low volume I have it at, and I do have it pretty low, I still have the volume indicator turned up to about 1/3 of the Ipod's full power. Also the sound is a little anemic without my AMP3. It still sounds good just not as full.

I can't comment on how the MX760's sound in comparison as I only have the PK1's and have never even heard the the Senns. but if you're wanting the PK1's, I see no reason why you shouldn't get them. They may be a little better with an amp, but it's not necessary and they still sound damn good without one!

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Hey wantmyf1, THANK YOU for the most helpful information! It is exactly what I needed. I know the PK1 will come alive if I turn it up and/or amp it, but I have to work within my situation. I'm still an audiophile and if I can get better sound than I've got right now (I know you haven't compared the two phones) then it's worth it to me.

Johnny (a fellow F1 fan - two races left! I want Vettel to win and Button to score out of the points just to keep things exciting for the last race
evil_smiley.gif
)

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 7
I use mine with an iPod Touch and they still sound good at low volumes, but not as good as they do at higher volumes. Maybe consider getting PK3's instead since they are much cheaper?

P.S. Anyone excited that Lotus is back for next season?

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 7
Very excited about Lotus. Hopefully they'll be able to shake things up a bit. Would be very cool if they could do a black Johnnie Walker car again (to today's regs of course). That was one of the best looking ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back