how is the UK?
Sep 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
nothing serious ITT, i just wondering how the UK is doing, I went there this summer for a couple of days but I'm pretty keen on going back because it seemed like a really, really cool place

Its weird tho because there are about half a dozen UK expatriates in my class which makes me feel like something bad has happened to make all these people suddenly move away to greener pastures [ie canada]

so how are you folks doing? hows the economy? any good jobs for a guy whose going to be getting a BA in business in about 4 years?

get back to me
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 18
In about 4 years we'll be on the way to the next boom fingers crossed. At the moment things are going down hill, and will continue to do so for the next 12-18 months. Especially where the property market is concerned. How bad its going to get... its all speculation.

Its still a great country. We are all very friendly. I suggest you spend some time here though, the difference around the place is vast. Lots and lots to do, this isn't just a country of cities.

It seems very common for young English people to head to Canada, at least for a while. Im thinking about it once im settled in my job, get a transfer over there. Not for good though.

Oh, and id get MA before heading over, competition is always rife and you need to do everything you can to put yourself ahead of the rest.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 18
To be honest, it could be worse. It also really depends what you do. If your a builder/banked youd be peeing your pants right now, whereas if your an engineer or whatever elsee you can be (zookeeper i guess) its not too bad. It looks gloomy, but banks arent randomly collapsing like in the US of A. Want to go anywhere? go to Ireland. Its ALOT like the uk, just that without the hardcore worrying. Banks "seem" stabler, and since its a small country the govt will surely rescue them. Unemployment is increasing, but mainly from the decrease in the building sector.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 18
A lot of folk here feel dissatisfied and disillusioned with the way things are at the moment. Financially, we're starting to feel the effects of a big slow-down. Violent crimes seem to be reported far more often than they once did. The cost of motoring is always nudging upwards, further and further. The government has radically changed the amount of road-fund tax we're paying on cars under a decade old. They've abolished the lowest rate of tax, so struggling families are struggling more and more. Food seems to be rising quite sharply at the moment. Job security isn't really existant at the moment.

And we pay a lot more for headphones than folk in the US. We get a raw deal on a lot of counts, but in general the people are nice, the countryside is beautiful, and some of our cities have a lot of culture behind them. There's some real history in places like Edinburgh. Our NHS is fantastic, yet confused and underfunded, with some staggeringly bad choices made about person X in town Z getting the tablets they need, yet person Y next to town Z not being granted the option to use them.

Many would say that our Prime Minister, and indeed our whole government, are utterly useless and incompetent. Much of the disillusion comes from the fact that the "opposition" are just as useless, and that it's difficult to envisage a viable future with any political party at the moment.

If I didn't have family ties here, then I'd gladly leave tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not sure if I'd stay where I ended up, but it'd be nice to see some more of the world and have something else to compare to.

~Phewl.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Many would say that our Prime Minister, and indeed our whole government, are utterly useless and incompetent. Much of the disillusion comes from the fact that the "opposition" are just as useless, and that it's difficult to envisage a viable future with any political party at the moment.

Start the Head-Fi Peoples Party =)

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 18
heh that is true, obviously I don't think I would buy a ticket and live in a cardboard box till i got a job, id probably move if/when I got a job out there

I don't know, its a bit weird, i always feel like a country isn't doing too well if people are leaving it in droves, is the whole situation FUBAR'd or can it be fixed kinda thing?

and how is london? i assume if the whole of england is suffering london isn't doing too well either but it seems like a really cool place to live and/or work if you can get a good stable job

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 18
WOW, thanks y'all for lettin' us know your thoughts. It aint gonna be all that pretty here where I am in the us for awhile I believe.
It's odd how similar things are... as I read it here in your posts.
It is always fascinating for me to understand what it is like for others abroad.
Thanks
icon10.gif
normal_smile .gif
wink.gif
atsmile.gif
wink_face.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 18
London is amazing. Sure it has its fair share of problems, but where doesn't? It is quite possibly the most multicultural city in the world, and it is all the better for it.

Its all swings and roundabouts. Right now the storms arriving, and it's going to get worse, a lot worse, in many areas before it gets better. But we'll survive, and then will get better and brilliant again. Its the way the world works. Just like the world shifts in and out of ice ages. Just over a very different time scale.

The recession at the moment is probably the most global that has ever occurred. So the situation in which it is left will be very interesting.

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 18
I'm loving Poole at the moment. Beautiful area!

Luckily not too populated by chavs.

The problem with the UK is we rely on old architecture and there is simply no more space. There's nowhere to put new railways/roads, our telephone system is mostly outdated. However we do have a decent Welfare State and the NHS is good.

Oh and the TV License fee is pretty crap.

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 18
It's good enough to emigrate from! USA here I come!

Seriously, it's an interesting country great for a short stay, but I've been here (London) too long.

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 18
Sep 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 18
The UK seems to be embracing everything that's not worthwhile and championing the worthless and there's no sign of this changing any time soon.

I'm also disappointed we're not CONUS when it comes to the majority of the wonderful amps & stuff for sale on these forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back