How is the Sony cd minidisc deck MDX-d40
Jan 11, 2003 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anybody know how the Sony CD Minidisc deck MDX-D40 is. It cost 300.00 at citcuit city.

Jan 13, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 13
Not sure but I think a bud of mine has one. I know from time to time he's had trouble copying CDRs but most of the time it's cool. I'll ask him what he thinks of it. Mine's an old MDS-JES520. I would wait for a sale. That seems a little high.

Jan 13, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 13
HI: I already bought it. look at my signature. I just was wondering how the quality of the cd player was. Do you know how that is?

Jan 13, 2003 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 13
I have the MXD-D40. The CD player is quite good, on a par with a good budget Sony CD player, such as the Sony CDP-XE570 according to some reviews. Shame about the lack of digital output on the unit though, and I can't get it to play audio CD-RWs.

Jan 15, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 13
It has a digital optical input I believe.

But does it have RCA analog input L/R option?

If not, then it is a totally useless piece of junk AFIAC. I have a Sony MD deck and MD Walkman. I can record off analog sources.

If this 'new' unit does not give me this option then it is a step backward.

But then, audio had been taking giant steps backward since 1982.
It's currently closing in on 1947.

Jan 15, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 13
How u doin Lou. I have the Sony MXD-D5C which appears to be the next step up, 5cd changer/1 MD dwelling. Sound is ok to me, nothing earth shattering, but i really don't use the cd player besides to dub tons of MD's..picked it up for $200 on sale in Jan 2001 from a Sony store in upstate NY. It's not overly bright, a bit on the smooth side (via the headphone jack) and it actually can drive most headphones reasonably well, at least better than all the discman's i have. I imagine your decks internals are somewhat similar to my deck.

Here's a link with info:

http://www.t-station.net/products/sony_mxd-d5c.html

Mine is black and has a optical out...of course it would've been nice if it actually worked
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 13
BEAGLE
But does it have RCA analog input L/R option? YES IT DOES. It has 2 rca out puts and 2 rca inputs plus a digital input. I use the 2 rca out puts to plug into my GILMORE amp using 2 sonic horizon daybreak ics.

Jan 15, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 13
gloco
HI: The headphone jack is fine but I use the rca out puts to my GILMORE amp with great rca ics and it sounds great. It really is a line out using the rca out puts. I think the cd and mini disc sound awesome with my ATH-A1000 Ant it fun to make the music that you want to hear just certain songs on the mini disc.

Jan 15, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 13
I doubt the CD part of the MXD-D40 would beat a CDP-XE570 but I'm sure it's really close. Either way you're looking at an above average $200 CD player performance.
I have MDS-JE770 and MDS-E10 MD decks, and I recently bought a CDP-XE570 for the bargain price of £99 ($150). It's a very good player for the price and it did get an award, at the recommended price which is like 40% higher. I'm solely using it as a recording source for the MD's, not to listen from. I did have a brief listen, not bad. However it wouldn't do full justice to the A1000 with a decent amp, that's for sure.

Jan 15, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
BEAGLE
But does it have RCA analog input L/R option? YES IT DOES. It has 2 rca out puts and 2 rca inputs plus a digital input. I use the 2 rca out puts to plug into my GILMORE amp using 2 sonic horizon daybreak ics.

Thanks LTUCCI1924! That is good news. I can't find any MD decks at all around here, and the Walkman ones have no analog out/in. My trusty MZ-R50 does have both options.

Jan 15, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
gloco
HI: The headphone jack is fine but I use the rca out puts to my GILMORE amp with great rca ics and it sounds great. It really is a line out using the rca out puts. I think the cd and mini disc sound awesome with my ATH-A1000 Ant it fun to make the music that you want to hear just certain songs on the mini disc.

Hey Lou, sure i'm familiar with the rca outs and stuff like that. I don't have a heavy duty DIY amp like a gilmore yet...maybe soon enough
smily_headphones1.gif

As for making mixes on MD, hell yeah, its the best. Nothing beats popping in 5 cds, programming them and let it get to work...in 20 or less minutes, voila! A mix of my favorite songs are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back