How is the Senn HD-497?
Jul 9, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
And I've found my 497's more comfortable when I position the pads so that the entire oval cushioning sits directly on my ears - thus making the 'phones completely supraural on me. Previously, I tried them with the back of my ears just inside the cushions, but they felt somewhat uncomfortable in that position.

I'm just the opposite, I find the 497 generally comfortable overall, just a bit warm and sweaty on hot days. I've never noticed any problems at all with pressure from the headband.

John

Aug 11, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

I will give them a break-in, and then I will keep them with my main commuting portable rig (for use in situations where I can't use my Etymotic ER-4S canalphones, such as walking down the sidewalk from the bus stop to work and back).

Just out of curiosity, why can't you use Ety's while walking to/from your job?

A.

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by apropos
Just out of curiosity, why can't you use Ety's while walking to/from your job?

A.

Prolly cos of their isolation... he wants to hear what goes on around him.... *shrug*

Aug 12, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #19 of 24
Hmm... makes sense. Good guess
smily_headphones1.gif
A.

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #21 of 24
They are a little ostentatious for wearing outside but I have seen some. I couldn't quite get to grips with the oval pads. Sounds very good for the money I'll agree.

This is my HD497. No really.
huh497.jpg

Aug 13, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #24 of 24
They have the 497 drivers with a little extra work in the casing to reduce the undesirable characteristics of a closed phone as much as possible. Trebles and mids are more or less 497, but the bass is a little light. Unfortunately with the V500 housing being so low profile, there's not a lot I can do in terms of porting and still keep it completely closed (the object of the exercise).
It's not that bad by itself. It's only when you compare it to HD25, SR80, etc that you say "well that kind of sucks"
biggrin.gif
It's not a bad portable with an MD. It's less flashy than the 497 and I think it looks better. It also folds and I've replaced the cable with a <1m high quality cable for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back