How is the Fiio e11 + some other questions
Jan 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kevinlai31

New Head-Fier
I have a beyer dynamics DT880 Pro headphones (250 ohms) , with my zune HD as my main MP3 player, as well as an iPhone 3GS. neither my zune or iphone is powerful enough to power my headphones, so naturally i started to look for a portable amp. i was looking at the Fiio e11 and read some pretty good reviews on it on this forum. But i also want to look at some other sub 100 dollar amp, so im open to suggestions. 

other questions:

Is the 6.35 jack better than the 3.5 jack? i can screw on a 6.3mm jack onto the 3mm jack on my DT880. and if it is, i would like a amp that takes a 6.35mm jack. 

Is the dock better in terms of music quality than the jacks? because if it is, i might sell my zune sine it doesnt have any dock-jack converter, and have the dock from my iPhone connect to the USB.

I read that the music quality is higher on the zune than the ipod, but from what i can hear, the difference is slight. will a amp make the difference more noticeable?

The bass is really lacking on my headphones, would an amp boost the bass? i listen mainly rap, with the occasional classical, metal, and rock, if that information pertains to any of my questions.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
I have a beyer dynamics DT880 Pro headphones (250 ohms) , with my zune HD as my main MP3 player, as well as an iPhone 3GS. neither my zune or iphone is powerful enough to power my headphones, so naturally i started to look for a portable amp. i was looking at the Fiio e11 and read some pretty good reviews on it on this forum. But i also want to look at some other sub 100 dollar amp, so im open to suggestions. 

other questions:

Is the 6.35 jack better than the 3.5 jack? i can screw on a 6.3mm jack onto the 3mm jack on my DT880. and if it is, i would like a amp that takes a 6.35mm jack. 

Is the dock better in terms of music quality than the jacks? because if it is, i might sell my zune sine it doesnt have any dock-jack converter, and have the dock from my iPhone connect to the USB.

I read that the music quality is higher on the zune than the ipod, but from what i can hear, the difference is slight. will a amp make the difference more noticeable?

The bass is really lacking on my headphones, would an amp boost the bass? i listen mainly rap, with the occasional classical, metal, and rock, if that information pertains to any of my questions.

Your iPhone will power it to a loud enough volume. It just won't sound as great as a desktop setup. Jacks don't make a different, at least they shouldn't.  The amp will make a difference mostly in volume. It probably won't help the bass. Rap/Metal/Rock, you picked the wrong headphones. And also, when it comes to an iPod, it's not so much an issue of amp as it is of DAC, iPod DACs are not famous for their quality, since the DT880 are pretty revealing, all you'll hear is the mediocre DAC. Maybe go with a FiiO E7? It has a decent DAC section.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
i was looking at the Fiio e11 and read some pretty good reviews on it on this forum. But i also want to look at some other sub 100 dollar amp, so im open to suggestions.

The E11 is a good option in that price range, unless you want to build a DIY amplifier (e.g. the O2).

Quote:

There is no inherent practically significant difference between the quality of the two jacks, but some amplifiers may have a different output on each when having both. The E9 is a known example of this, it has higher output impedance on the 1/8" connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlai31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe, but do not expect much difference unless the amplifier you choose has a bass boost function. The DT880 was never meant to be bass heavy, it has a neutral bass response.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 8
I use the e11 on Ultrasone Pro 900s. 

For the price, it's a great little unit, surprisingly very little noise, and a good signal boost for headphones.

It has 3 levels of bass EQ, and does a nice job of adding bass without distorting the midrange.

Recently, I purchased a $300 desktop amplifier, and it was very noisy compared to the e11, so returned it and will be getting a different one. In other words, this little $60 did better than a $300 desktop in terms of noise.

I have no problems recommending this unit for the price. 

I also drive Klipsch S4 earbuds with the e11.

As far as quality of output, the dock connector is a lot better than the built in amp of the iPhone. You can get Fiio dock connector to 1/8" cables for around $6 on Amazon.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 8
@ninja squirt what are the DT880's good for? and what are DAC's? and no the volume is too low on my iphone.

@stv which amp has a bass boost function? and i know that the DT880's werent meant to be bass heavy, and i dont like it when the bass is too heavy (like beats), but a decent amount.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 8

thanks a lot guys. So should i sell my zune? because if a iphone connected to a fiio e11 via a dock connector is better than a zune with a normal jack connection to a e11, i will probably sell it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back