how is the dt-880 for metal?
Feb 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. i own the ah-d5000 as you can see in my sig. i am really hot for some dt-880,read some reviews on it and they sound really great and acurate.
i am looking for some less heavy bass cans,lively and high tymbral crystal highs(dont mind for a little piercing highs). i will keep the denons for electrical music mostly,and use the dt-880 for metal and other rock.
can you help me to make the final decision?
thanks!

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 19
The DT880 has recessed mids and lack speed. And is very analytical. Cold and bright. Sounds closer to the K701 than the Denons. I don't consider them to be lively, or good metal cans. The Grados are obviously what you are looking for, I recommend the SR225 instead.

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 19
I've owned the DT880 600Ω and even if you're looking for a less bass heavy can, the DT880 is pushing it. There's just too little balls to the DT880 for rock/metal imho. And when coming from the D5000, wow, your jaw is just gonna drop.
smile.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 has recessed mids and lack speed. And is very analytical. Cold and bright. Sounds closer to the K701 than the Denons. I don't consider them to be lively, or good metal cans. The Grados are obviously what you are looking for, I recommend the SR225 instead.

Oh please.

The DT880s are so to say polite. They are not bright and cold at all, in fact they are pretty warm. Yes, they do emphasize the treble a bit but overall they are not bright and have never been sibilant to my ears. They sound pretty balanced and neutral imo and if anything Grados will be more fatiguing.

I am listening to some Slipknot through my DT880s and yep, they are a bit too polite for metal. They handle the resolution very nice and soundstage is very nice imo for metal but I think you wouldn't like them for they lack a bit when it comes to attack. The bass is there but it's letting you hear the bass not so much feel it. So all in all metal is not really up the DT880s alley. They are simply to polite.

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 19
Wow slipknot, you didn't seem that kind of guy

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 19
^ Haha.
No I am not and if you would look into my music library you would find it between Snoop Dogg and Snow Patrol. I listen to all kinds of music.
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 19
I agree with the above posters. The DT880 is to polite and lacks speed - so they are not that suited for metal.

Grado SR225 would be my suggestion in the same pricerange - they are exellent with metal and rock.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Haha.
No I am not and if you would look into my music library you would find it between Snoop Dogg and Snow Patrol. I listen to all kinds of music.
wink.gif

Ah ok
biggrin.gif
yeah so do I, from the Messiah to Notorious Big.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 19
Go for grado. SR-225 will suit your needs nicely.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 19
It's been said before, but will repeat the Grado chant. 225s, or even 325is for a bit more sparkle, are better for metal than my DT880s. Grados capture distorted guitar like no other cans.

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 19
i just read the review on headroom on the grados and its very atractive.
i have one more question. i am in dillema for a long time if i should stick with the denons or get them some company..means another can. so it's important to me that the grados have differently another sound signature,with not huge bass like the denons. also notice that i own the hd-595 and i want to make sure that the sound signature is not similar to them also! if they are totaly different, than i think i have decided my next cans fellows!
and one more thing...they look like a mid size can and not full size. is that just me or that's true? and i wouldnt mind adding some money for a more upscale grado model if you suggest so! or should i lock myself to the sr225?
thanks again for your comments guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back