How is the bass on the HD600's?
Aug 21, 2007 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

stevodotorg

100+ Head-Fier
I am no bass head by all means, but I recently got to try on a pair on HD600's and loved the comfort, sadly I did not listen to any music in them, although I did get to sample some jazz on the HD650's and I very much enjoyed this alot.

Although I listen to a good amount of rock, trance, and indie, stuff that has beats and drums in it. Will I be able to enjoy the fullness of my music with the HD600's?

For example, I thoroughly enjoy the bass on my KSC-75's with, or even without my LDM+ amp. I feel that the KSC-75's give the perfect hit to my ear, it's not overbearing, just a simple punch that I can feel, this is what I am searching for. Also take note that I will be upgrading my amp soon as well, looking into the Total Airhead/Bithead.

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 15
i have a 580 with the 600 grill and 650 cable, which should be pretty similar to an hd600. with my corda move, my 580 sounds nice and full. there's a lot of bass, but occasionally i feel that it's a little flabby. you'll definitely feel the beats on your tracks with and hd600 imo.

i also used to have a ksc75, and i think the hd580/600 is similar to its sound signature, but with less of a "V" equalizer feeling (all bass and treble). i love my hd580s a lot, and i've been thru an a900, hd650, akg 701, dt880, and dt990. it's excellent and much cheaper too!

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 15
If you didn't find the base overpowering on the HD650's you'll probably be disappointed with the HD600's.

I went from the HD600's to the HD650's and oh god too much base.

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 15
Compared to the KSC 75' I think you'll be quite satisfied with the bass assuming that you are using an amp. The amount of bass is there, but it's a bit more mellow and not as "poppy" as the Koss's. I can't comment on the HD650's since I've only heard them momentarily.

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 15
You may want to consider Grado's. Properly amped, I find the bass very satisfying in terms of impact and clarity. I think they'll be closer to the KSC 75's than the Sennheisers would be.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 15
hi,im new to this site and its an awesome site.anyway,i have the hd 580 as well,and love it.how and where can i have those 600 grill and the 650 cable fitted as what you have which i think is really cool? thanks in advance.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 15
I'm not a fan of how the HD600's bass just flows. It seems thin to me. I like the bass kick that just doesn't come from an open phone. It doesn't have to be overpowering... it just needs to kick me a bit so I can feel it.

That's ultimately why I got rid of them.

Edit: I'll add that I didn't really feel that bass quantity nor extension were severely lacking... it just wasn't presented the way I wanted.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 15
I think the 600s are really dependant upon your setup.

They are headphones that have improved immensely, everytime I have upgraded something in my chain.

With my current setup, they have an excellent amount of bass impact that is both tight and responsive. However, with the type of setup that you are looking at, you won't have the same experience.

If you plan to improve your source components and amp over time, the 600s will grow with you every step of the way.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 15
Between KSC-75 and HD600; I find the bass to be about the same sound level. To me though, the bass isn't as tight as the KSC75. It seems as though the bass, though loud enough, is coming from a greater distance and is therefore enhanced in the same way as if it were in a larger space and is farther away.

.....if that makes any sense.
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the 600s are really dependant upon your setup.

They are headphones that have improved immensely, everytime I have upgraded something in my chain.

With my current setup, they have an excellent amount of bass impact that is both tight and responsive. However, with the type of setup that you are looking at, you won't have the same experience.

If you plan to improve your source components and amp over time, the 600s will grow with you every step of the way.

How about with a Total Bithead/Airhead? or an E-MU 0404 USB?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 15
I think the bass in the HD-600 is similar to the KSC-75's, only tighter and deeper. I think you would like the SQ if you like the KSC75's. However, I agree with the other posters who advise more amp. The HD600's are relatively high impedance (300 ohm) and require a bit more punch from the amp than a KSC-75 would.

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No amp?

Looking at your sig, LDM+ isn't a good enough amp by the way (for the HD600). It could do as a temporary solution though
wink.gif

I do agree.. I plan on selling the LDM+ .. but I also do plan on buying an E-MU 0404 usb.. and am thinking about getting a total bithead/airhead.. so if anyone has heard one of these with the 600 or 580.. please feel free to share some insight
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Perfect... just the right amount
600smile.gif
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back