How is the Asus Z790-I Audio Hive compare to internal PCI-E sound card?
Dec 10, 2022 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Hozay

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have noticed that unlike other motherboard, Asus Rog Strix Z790-I has an audio hive that work like an external sound card.

But I have no idea how good is it after I read its descriptions.

Link is here https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-i-gaming-wifi-model/ (In features and specs)

1670702886791.png

It says it equips ALC4050 Codec & ESS, SABRE9260Q DAC.

Can someone tell me what are the equivalent sounds cards based on this one's spec or its price point?

For example compare to EVGA and Creative PC sound cards.

Thanks! If this thread does not belong here please tell me and I will move it.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm guessing a used $50 SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) sound card would at least equal it.
I found using an external USB DAC/amp to be the best option for computer headphone audio.

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 17
I have a similar board. If you disable windows enhancements and adjust the gain setting and it's loud enough, it's a pretty good sound card. To upgrade from there, a Soundblaster X1 or G6 will sound better, and for hard to drive headphones, a JDS Atom amp+ dac+ stack is all you'll need for a big improvement you'll notice.
It's about the same as a Sound blaster play3 which is fine for 32ohm stuff like the Beyerdynamic mmx300, but high gain doesn't sound that great on mine, or pushing 250ihn or higher headphones, it runs out of power.

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 17
I'm guessing a used $50 SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) sound card would at least equal it.
I found using an external USB DAC/amp to be the best option for computer headphone audio.
Thx for the advices. I found Creative produce both internal pci-e sound card and external USB DAC/AMP. Would you mind sharing why an external one can be the best option when comparing to internal ones?

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 17
I have a similar board. If you disable windows enhancements and adjust the gain setting and it's loud enough, it's a pretty good sound card. To upgrade from there, a Soundblaster X1 or G6 will sound better, and for hard to drive headphones, a JDS Atom amp+ dac+ stack is all you'll need for a big improvement you'll notice.
It's about the same as a Sound blaster play3 which is fine for 32ohm stuff like the Beyerdynamic mmx300, but high gain doesn't sound that great on mine, or pushing 250ihn or higher headphones, it runs out of power.
Thx a lot for sharing your experience! Especially pointing out which sound card can be better then this. Though I like big noticeable improvement but I don't have an over ear headphone with large impedance now, I am still using IEMs around $300 with my PC. And I noticed that Creative has sound card that can drive up to 600Ω, so maybe I will get one of these if I am getting something hard to drive. I checked out SB play3 and it looks nice and portable. speaking of that, I saw Creative has a SXFI TRIO iem with built-in amp looks just like play3. Never seen anything like that.

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 17
Thx for the advices. I found Creative produce both internal pci-e sound card and external USB DAC/AMP. Would you mind sharing why an external one can be the best option when comparing to internal ones?
Computers can generate electrical noise inside the computer case, like maybe from the power supply or the graphics card (or other).
Internal sound cards (on-board or add-on) can sometimes pick that electrical noise, so you get noise in the audio.
The noise is picked up by anything analog (wave), the analog signal starts at the output of the DAC chip.
A digital audio signal is not really affected by electrical noise, so sending the digital audio signal, thru USB, to an external DAC, keeps noise out of the signal.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 17
Thx a lot for sharing your experience! Especially pointing out which sound card can be better then this. Though I like big noticeable improvement but I don't have an over ear headphone with large impedance now, I am still using IEMs around $300 with my PC. And I noticed that Creative has sound card that can drive up to 600Ω, so maybe I will get one of these if I am getting something hard to drive. I checked out SB play3 and it looks nice and portable. speaking of that, I saw Creative has a SXFI TRIO iem with built-in amp looks just like play3. Never seen anything like that.
I would try and talk you into spending a little more, like for an iBasso DC05 or FiiO KA3.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 17
Computers can generate electrical noise inside the computer case, like maybe from the power supply or the graphics card (or other).
Internal sound cards (on-board or add-on) can sometimes pick that electrical noise, so you get noise in the audio.
The noise is picked up by anything analog (wave), the analog signal starts at the output of the DAC chip.
A digital audio signal is not really affected by electrical noise, so sending the digital audio signal, thru USB, to an external DAC, keeps noise out of the signal.
Thx I learned a lot! So the possible electrical noise you mentioned is not a constant background noise but can happen occasionally right? No wonder I have been using my pc with iem for years but never noticed it. Initially I thought its something like a current sound that you hear when someone using a low quality microphone. I guess yea in that case an external DAC/AMP would be better.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 17
I would try and talk you into spending a little more, like for an iBasso DC05 or FiiO KA3.
Thx for recommending, I checked that I am ok with the price of these two. But are you saying that for instance an iBasso DC05 + other iem deliver better sound quality than this SXFI Trio? Or iBasso DC05 is simply better and worth buying than that SB play3. I dont have such device but I thought these are for mobile phones mainly. Are they any good for computer + iem if I dont have an external DAC yet?

Dec 11, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 17
Thx I learned a lot! So the possible electrical noise you mentioned is not a constant background noise but can happen occasionally right? No wonder I have been using my pc with iem for years but never noticed it. Initially I thought its something like a current sound that you hear when someone using a low quality microphone. I guess yea in that case an external DAC/AMP would be better.
I'm guessing modern motherboards have a lot less noise, than motherboards made years ago.
Nice your on-board audio (sound card) does not seem to pick up noise :)
But still prefer USB DAC/amps.

Dec 11, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 17
Thx for recommending, I checked that I am ok with the price of these two. But are you saying that for instance an iBasso DC05 + other iem deliver better sound quality than this SXFI Trio? Or iBasso DC05 is simply better and worth buying than that SB play3. I dont have such device but I thought these are for mobile phones mainly. Are they any good for computer + iem if I dont have an external DAC yet?
They come with adapters so they plug into PC's and smartphones.
The iBasso DC05 and FiiO KA3 come with what I believe are better DAC chips and would assume a more powerful headphone amplifier.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 17
I'm guessing modern motherboards have a lot less noise, than motherboards made years ago.
Nice your on-board audio (sound card) does not seem to pick up noise :)
But still prefer USB DAC/amps.
Most motherboards' integrated sound card is at the bottom left corner with a line to separate from other components like the photo.

I saw some promotion mentioned it but forgot how they call it, I'm guessing this thing decline the noises.

1670873687237.png

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 17
They come with adapters so they plug into PC's and smartphones.
The iBasso DC05 and FiiO KA3 come with what I believe are better DAC chips and would assume a more powerful headphone amplifier.
So just those two are more worth buying than SB play3 right? I thought you meant SXFI trio wasnt any good. For the same price of iBasso DC05 or FiiO KA3, does an external usb DAC+AMP (for PC, so bigger ones, not portable) deliver better sound quality or they are just the same no matter the size. Coz I only use mobile phone with my iem occasionally.

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 17
So just those two are more worth buying than SB play3 right? I thought you meant SXFI trio wasn't any good. For the same price of iBasso DC05 or FiiO KA3, does an external USB DAC+AMP (for PC, so bigger ones, not portable) deliver better sound quality or they are just the same no matter the size. Coz I only use mobile phone with my IEM occasionally.
I do not know about the SB Play3 and SXFI Trio, so can't say anything negative about them.
And they do seem to come with software (control panel?).
I just have good vibes about the DAC chip, used in the DC05 and KA3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back