How is the 360 as a CD player?
Apr 16, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 15
It has an optical out, I'm not sure of the quality of the analog signal in terms of music listening. I never bothered when I had one, because the thing is so darn loud. Ignoring the massive power brick with fans, and the noisy fans inside the 360, the disc drive is just plain loud when it spins up. I wouldn't recommend it for any kind of real listening to be honest.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want something better then my 3 yr old DVD player..Of course I'll be buying it for gaming, but if it best my DVD player as a CD player I would be really happy.

I think you could find MUCH MUCH better as a transport than the 360 for the money. I have serious doubts Sony was much concerned with jitter reduction when they made the 360.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you could find MUCH MUCH better as a transport than the 360 for the money. I have serious doubts Sony was much concerned with jitter reduction when they made the 360.
smily_headphones1.gif

Playstation 3= Sony Xbox 360= Microsoft
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 15
The 360 without using it as a transport sucks as a cd player. In fact, the only good sound it makes is with games. I sold mine so I can't directly compare it to my ce-595 but it wasn't good.http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2088531,00.asp An article on a 360s dvd playback.

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

I just want something better then my 3 yr old DVD player..Of course I'll be buying it for gaming, but if it best my DVD player as a CD player I would be really happy.

It's "ok" as a temporary, short term stopgap.

If I read right: You've either recently purchased a nice DAC or are in the hunt for one. If that's the case, then I certainly would go optical out from the 360 to whatever DAC you bought/end up with.

If the thing doesn't scratch your discs, you'll probably be fine for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's "ok" as a temporary, short term stopgap.

If I read right: You've either recently purchased a nice DAC or are in the hunt for one. If that's the case, then I certainly would go optical out from the 360 to whatever DAC you bought/end up with.

If the thing doesn't scratch your discs, you'll probably be fine for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a DAC1.. I had the 360 before..But it broke.. No Warranty. I did like the pro logic effect on my headphones.. Gave it a surround sound feel to it..

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

I have a DAC1.. I had the 360 before..But it broke.. No Warranty. I did like the pro logic effect on my headphones.. Gave it a surround sound feel to it..

If you can, I'd honestly save up and get the 360 Elite. It's going to have better build quality and just be a better unit overall for the most part.

Why?

Because MS took some heat for some obvious quality control issues from that first few batches of 360's, along the lines of the problems you had. That, and you get a much bigger hard drive.

I think it's due out at the end of April.

Just something to think about if you really want "put yourself over the top" on all levels with that system.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Go to a pawn shop and try and find a 1st Gen Playstation...circa 1995/96. The ones that have separate A/V out (as opposed to 1 plug for everything) are supposed to be superb for music listening. Do a little googling and youll see all the rage
smily_headphones1.gif
. You might be able to get one of them old Playstations for under $30. Give this a read http://www.younghifi.com/2006/12/06/...ifi-cd-player/

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to a pawn shop and try and find a 1st Gen Playstation...circa 1995/96. The ones that have separate A/V out (as opposed to 1 plug for everything) are supposed to be superb for music listening. Do a little googling and youll see all the rage
smily_headphones1.gif
. You might be able to get one of them old Playstations for under $30. Give this a read http://www.younghifi.com/2006/12/06/...ifi-cd-player/

he has a dac, he's looking for a transport, not a standalone cd player. i think my ps1 (yes i have the one with analog outs) sounds worse than my ipod, to be honest.

right now i'm thinking about getting an oppo for all of my disc needs. awesome dvd player with a good cd player/transport to boot.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh mustve misunderstood the part about the transport. My bad
smily_headphones1.gif

I should have used the term transport instead. I just ordered an Xbox core.. I already have the HD & Component cables.. Spending 479.00/500 for an elite is out of my budget..

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I'm hoping it's better then my 04 DVD player, which I been using as a transport.

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #15 of 15
I see a lot of half-truths and misunderstandings in this thread. Here are the facts:

- The Xbox 360 is made by Microsoft, not by Sony
- The spinup sound is only made when the drive goes into 12x speed. When playing 1 speed audio CD's there is no spinup sound.
- There are lots of different drives with different versions of the 360. I have a Samsung drive but other users may have other models (eg Hitachi)
- The quality of the 360, or at least the version that I have, is very good. It beats my Toshiba DVD player although a separate high quality CD player will obviously give better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back