How is SQ of Sansa with Rockbox?
Sep 15, 2007 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

grommal

100+ Head-Fier
A new PMP is in my near future. The Sandisk Sansa sure looks like a good value, but many folks have given it so-so marks for SQ. I've seen a couple of opinions that installing the Rockbox firmware improves the SQ, though the Rockbox site itself makes no such claim.

So, the question is, how good is the SQ from Rockboxed Sansas? Does it compare with iRiver, Cowon, or Meizu players?

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A new PMP is in my near future. The Sandisk Sansa sure looks like a good value, but many folks have given it so-so marks for SQ. I've seen a couple of opinions that installing the Rockbox firmware improves the SQ, though the Rockbox site itself makes no such claim.

So, the question is, how good is the SQ from Rockboxed Sansas? Does it compare with iRiver, Cowon, or Meizu players?

I think any SQ inprovements would be from enhanced EQ and perhaps the crossfading feature. I don't think Rockbox would change the Sansa's basic signature. I hope I am wrong though.

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 17
I found my experience with my e260's SQ, Rockboxed or not...to be pretty sub par. Its one of the main reasons I gave it up and went with a Meizu M6, and now, a Zune. Just, my opinion...

...have you already purchased it?

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found my experience with my e260's SQ, Rockboxed or not...to be pretty sub par. Its one of the main reasons I gave it up and went with a Meizu M6, and now, a Zune. Just, my opinion...

...have you already purchased it?

No purchase yet. SQ is high on my priority list.

I had already pretty much narrowed it down to a Clix2 or Cowon i7. Latest gen iPods were tempting, but I got over that when I heard that only iTunes will sync them. Meizu was tempting, but the skip during playback is a deal breaker. New Sonys and new Zen might be interesting, but I'm probably not going to wait long enough to learn much about them from others' experiences. I had already written off the Sansas because of the negative comments on SQ, but there were 1 or 2 folks that said that Rockbox made a night and day improvement in SQ. But, most comments I've found since then, including yours, refute that. Thanks for the info.

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 17
=O I'm an audiophile newb so take my opinion with a few grains of salt more than others.

I just bought a Sansa e260 and rockboxed it (few hours ago) and the difference came from the great EQ/sound settings. Definitely better than my ZVM (I made a thread about it in this forum too). It took a bit of tweaking but I got the sound I wanted.

With that said... $110CAD is not bad at all.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 17
So many conflicting opinions regarding the Sansa's SQ. Some people say that it improves a lot with Rockbox, some people say it sucks either way.
confused.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So many conflicting opinions regarding the Sansa's SQ. Some people say that it improves a lot with Rockbox, some people say it sucks either way.
confused.gif

And some people like me are very happy with the sound quality with the original firmware. It has lean bass which lends well to the exaggerated bass of most mainstream portable phones.

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

confused.gif

Consumers always complain, it's a given. Especially audiophiles. What sounds good to one person, sounds like garbage to the next.

I personally think the SQ of the Sansa e200 series is great. With Rockbox, you can tweak this little player to your hearts content; EQ, crossfeed, and stereo width make quite a difference. You can also customize the UI with different graphics, skins, icons, fonts, and colors. This results in a truly personalized DAP.
cool.gif

The Sansa may or may not be for you. The best thing to do is just give it a try. Purchase one locally from a store with a good return policy, if you like it, take it back and then order one online with the better deal.

Just my 2c.

~Zip

Edit: Hi Slaughter, good to see another Austinite on Head-Fi.

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

confused.gif

I know Sansas SQ is pretty bad without Rockbox. Heck, my 2g Nano sounds better than my e260!

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 17
i've had the sansa e260. i can attest that the SQ is terrible (got rid of it after 2 weeks).

anyway, you shouldn't take the risk of getting the sansa + the rockbox.

i also wasn't too fond with the picture quality and navigation on the player.

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hrSleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
=O I'm an audiophile newb so take my opinion with a few grains of salt more than others.

I just bought a Sansa e260 and rockboxed it (few hours ago) and the difference came from the great EQ/sound settings. Definitely better than my ZVM (I made a thread about it in this forum too). It took a bit of tweaking but I got the sound I wanted.

With that said... $110CAD is not bad at all.

Ok So do you still have the same opinion?
Was it worth it to rockbox the sansa?

I'd like your input because you own one,
eek.gif
compared to many who do not have but evaluate from what their mother/friends/whatever told them.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok So do you still have the same opinion?
Was it worth it to rockbox the sansa?

I'd like your input because you own one,
eek.gif
compared to many who do not have but evaluate from what their mother/friends/whatever told them.

It was DEFINITELY worth Rock Boxing. When I first bought it (because the ZVM failed my SE310s) I was pretty disappointed with the sound out of the box. After playing with the EQ, I was still disappointed with the results. My bass was weak, the mids and highs were muddy, I think the term is. With RockBox, while it did take a lot of fine tuning, the better EQ options (Bass, Treble, Parametric EQ with control over frequency cutoff, gain, and "Q values") fixed things right up.

So, the Rock Box won't magically make things sound better but it gives you the tools to do so.

Are there better alternatives? I don't know. Like I said, I'm still a newb.

Am I happy I bought the e260 for $110 CAD? Yes.

Is it better than the ZVM? From the results I've gotten, major yes. Also, it's better sounding than my friend's Rock Box'd Toshiba Gigabeat. His still ended up sounding similar to my ZVM after EQ.

Downsides? Battery life is a little shorter than it would be if I were to use the original firmware... Although playing Pong for a few minutes at work might have had something to do with it.

Added:
If it helps, here's an example of what I've (mostly) been listening to:
ATB ("producer of trance and dance music." mostly listening to Feel Alive and Let You Go.), Eskobar (Whatever This Town & Someone New), Regina Spektor (Samson), Pendulum (Blood Sugar), and Belanova (Tus Ojos).

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hrSleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was DEFINITELY worth Rock Boxing. When I first bought it (because the ZVM failed my SE310s) I was pretty disappointed with the sound out of the box. After playing with the EQ, I was still disappointed with the results. My bass was weak, the mids and highs were muddy, I think the term is. With RockBox, while it did take a lot of fine tuning, the better EQ options (Bass, Treble, Parametric EQ with control over frequency cutoff, gain, and "Q values") fixed things right up.

So, the Rock Box won't magically make things sound better but it gives you the tools to do so.

Are there better alternatives? I don't know. Like I said, I'm still a newb.

Am I happy I bought the e260 for $110 CAD? Yes.

Is it better than the ZVM? From the results I've gotten, major yes. Also, it's better sounding than my friend's Rock Box'd Toshiba Gigabeat. His still ended up sounding similar to my ZVM after EQ.

Downsides? Battery life is a little shorter than it would be if I were to use the original firmware... Although playing Pong for a few minutes at work might have had something to do with it.

Added:
If it helps, here's an example of what I've (mostly) been listening to:
ATB ("producer of trance and dance music." mostly listening to Feel Alive and Let You Go.), Eskobar (Whatever This Town & Someone New), Regina Spektor (Samson), Pendulum (Blood Sugar), and Belanova (Tus Ojos).

Well Thanks for your answer! It is positive.

Great for the EQ possibility.

I owned a sansa before and with the original firmware I had some trouble in viewing and playing in sequence the music in FOLDERS. This is how my music is arranged and with the rockbox I think I could listen to it and arrange it that way! Am I Right??

PS. In 2 weeks Costco in Canada has a $20 discount on the sansa 6gb!

Any other comment about the rockbox?

I read that you can still boot with either FW?

Any problem with the Micro SD. It should take the SDHC 4gb with rockbox?

regards,

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Thanks for your answer! It is positive.

Great for the EQ possibility.

I owned a sansa before and with the original firmware I had some trouble in viewing and playing in sequence the music in FOLDERS. This is how my music is arranged and with the rockbox I think I could listen to it and arrange it that way! Am I Right??

PS. In 2 weeks Costco in Canada has a $20 discount on the sansa 6gb!

Any other comment about the rockbox?

I read that you can still boot with either FW?

Any problem with the Micro SD. It should take the SDHC 4gb with rockbox?

regards,

You dual boot, yes. You need the original firmware to connect it to a PC as the Rock Box isn't quite there yet.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "playing in sequence the music in FOLDERS." but what I use is the file/folder structure with 'Repeat All'. With Repeat All on, it'll only play the songs in that specific folder. If you want it to keep playing on through other folders then just turn Repeat off.

ie. : Sansa\music\JohnSmith's Fireworks Album1\...
Your Song.mp3
Whatever else.ogg...
Another one.wav
Carrot.jpeg
It'll play the songs in there and if you have Repeat on it'll stick to those songs. If Repeat is off then it'll move into the next folder.

ie. : Sansa\music\JohnSmith's Fireworks Album2\...

I haven't tried the expansion yet. I hear you can only use it for music though (original firmware at least... I'll try to find out for you with RockBox)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back