How is sound leakage from Sennheiser HD-598?
Aug 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Shimakaze

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of over-ear phones to use at work that is comfortable to wear over extended periods of time, and the HD-598 seems to fit the bill in terms of sound quality (from what I've read anyway) and affordability. The only issue that I can see is sound leakage from the open-back design. I work in a quiet office inside cubicles with 7 feet-tall walls, so they do contain some amount of sound. I don't mind being able to hear my surroundings. In fact, it's desirable to be able to hear when my coworkers need my attention, so my only concern is my music bothering people in the other cubes. Just how bad is sound leakage from open-back headphones, and the HD-598 in particular? I listen mostly to jazz and some post-rock, and never crank the volume up, if that makes any difference.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 3
If you listen to moderate to low levels, it's not an issue unless a person is literally within 5 feet of you but i guess moderate to low is relative. Try amazon or anyplace with a good return service and just return them if they leak too much, all open headphones are going to leak about that much though

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 3
I take mine to work sometime as well. You're fine at lower volumes, but it leaks something fierce if you turn it up for a song you suddenly get into. It is an extremely comfortable headphone, I can wear it all day long without much fatigue. It depends on your workplace though - if your co-workers don't mind hearing a smidge of the music you're listening to when they come into your cubicle, you're fine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back