How is Khozmo Stepped Attenuators?
Dec 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #423 of 440
What a nice welcome. :)

But no, trying to learn something. That was my first post but you can search my user name in Agon, Asylum, diyaudio and even in ebay to have your own impression about me.

Regards

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #425 of 440
I managed to stuff a used first gen (square) Khozmo 50K stereo ladder into my Crack.... amp.
tongue_smile.gif

It had a bit of clicking, but I think it was just the result of neglect.  Good snaps actually. Right in the ear. Ouch.  
A few quick turns through the usable range seemed to clear it up.  Otherwise, its an amazing piece.  

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #427 of 440
hi, i did the upgrade, replaced the stock burson's attenuator with the Khozmo shunt type 48 steps

ultra smooth and precise, very noticeable gain in soundstage immediateness and transparency, got rid of the pops and clicks, as well as of the noise with sensible cans, the default one exhibited

used the stock patch cable that connected the default attenuator

removed the Caddock mk132 series resistors (since the conductor has them on the pcb, one can upgrade those too with the ones that come with the 10k khozmo or equivalent, should be 10k but i'm not 100% sure, still awaiting confirmation from burson), bridged the GND terminals on the khozmo with a ohno silver wire and soldered the black wire on it, the red and white wires were soldered on the khozmo's OUT terminals

i got the Khozmo directly from http://www.khozmo.com/ (EU Poland)

http://www.partsconnexion.com/ (Canada) sells upgrade parts and burson's gear and does this and other upgrades, you can send them in your own gear for upgrades too

cheers

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #428 of 440
I recently built an Audio Note (kit) pre-amp, 'The Mentor'. It uses 2 mono Khozmo attenuators, one for each channel. The right channel Khozmo crackled like crazy, when I say 'crackled' I mean my speakers tried to spit the cones across the room, I needed ear protection to change volume. Arek sent me 2 of his newly designed attenuators with double wipers and I have to say theu are awesome, so much better than the old version, (however one advantage the old ones had was you could change it to any resistance by simply swapping out the Caddock resistor, the new ones are 'set' at manufacture, the new ones do not have an external resistor). I'm not sure if it's the extra contact but the whole system is much more alive and 'full'. I realy cannot recommend these new double wiper Khozmo's enough.

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #429 of 440
did you get the standard resistors pot or the upgraded one? do you have some photos to show the new design? i sold mine, the one pictured in the post above yours, btw never had any issues with it on my conductor, i'll probably be ordering again cos all the others brands come with 24 steps max, didn't find any with more than that, do anyone know of any?

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #430 of 440
  did you get the standard resistors pot or the upgraded one? do you have some photos to show the new design? i sold mine, the one pictured in the post above yours, btw never had any issues with it on my conductor, i'll probably be ordering again cos all the others brands come with 24 steps max, didn't find any with more than that, do anyone know of any?

I got the standard one, Resistors: Vishay/Dale RN55 1% 100ppm , 1/8W, low noise. They are tiny SMD type. They look identical to the old apart from there is no room for the Caddock (it had IN/OUT/GND/ connections and 2 for the caddock. Also the fastening posts are slightly larger on the new, so you will need a slightly larger hole in the facia. I cannot post the only photo I have because I do not seem to have permision for that on this forum.

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #433 of 440
  If you go on the Khozmo website they show a stepped attenuator using all naked vishay z foil resistors. What pot is this one?

The naked z foil resistors are better quality than the vishay dale, they also cost more. If you want the ultimate set try Charcroft resistors at £10-£25 each (you will need 48 per channel). Although I think I would buy a Seiden switch if I was paying that much.

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/car_resistors.html

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/seiden-switch-pole-switch-62005-p-9283.html

May 15, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #434 of 440
I'm a little sad this thread died. Those attenuators are damn sexy! Thinking that I may get one of those pre-amps someday, or maybe I'll try my hand at making one myself with the parts.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #435 of 440
i tried all kind of pots, also dact which is really excellent, but the khozmo kind of impressed me more, it's just so smooth and precise, and the 48 steps are very welcome at such a good price, tho it a bit chunky... also the dact seems much easier to open and clean if necessary...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back