How is a $1,000 Headphones Amp Better Than a $100 Amp?
Nov 5, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #76 of 80
Realistic as a term obviously has many interpretations. And the crazy part is many somehow think the word “color” is the antithesis of detail?

Color and detail and realistic can co-exist. And no I’m pretty sure there is no absolute definition of neural. No one has been able to define it, and I’ve been looking here since 2006?

But remember I’m someone that doesn’t like closer to whatever neutral could maybe be, so I’m actually not maybe the best person to answer the question. I’m not looking for it?

Again measurements don’t really give the whole picture. Obviously they are helpful but I’ve never seen a measurement of soundstage? Lots and lots of things can’t be fully measured yet they are important. IMO
Neutral just means a flat frequency response.

Nov 5, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #77 of 80

Can you show me a headphone that everyone agrees is that?
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/neutral-sound-an-utopia/

Also even if there was a transducer response close to neutral it would be affected by the listeners volume level.

——————————————————

1) volume listening levels vary per individual
2) distortion levels vary with that volume level with the same equipment due to self generated (human hearing) distortion
3) volume levels affect how much damping factor is needed
4) headphone impedance affects how much power/damping factor is needed
5) people gravitate towards different amp color as correct and natural
6) people gravitate towards detail levels and “musicality” considered natural
7) there are always synergy concerns and activities
8) there are always price per purchase constraints
9) there is advertising hype
10) there is group pressure
11) there are scientific measurements
12) there are long standing methodology expectation bias ideas

And Finally..........
13)...................that volume levels create frequency differences bio-mechanically...........and psychologically, along with the fact that actual headphones do not respond with a linear frequency response to begin with.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #78 of 80
Can you show me a headphone that everyone agrees is that? ...
We'll never see a headphone everyone agrees is neutral, because everyone has a different HRTF perceiving the same sounds differently.
With headphones, "flat frequency response" is a target that moves and changes from person to person.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #79 of 80
We'll never see a headphone everyone agrees is neutral, because everyone has a different HRTF perceiving the same sounds differently.
With headphones, "flat frequency response" is a target that moves and changes from person to person.
This thread was about amps, tho. A neutral amp is an unambiguous concept, which was the whole point I was making, and is relevant to the point of the OP.

I dont think its all that ambiguous for headphones either, because FR Graphs are a thing, but its pointless to keep arguing about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back