How is a $1,000 Headphones Amp Better Than a $100 Amp?
Nov 3, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #31 of 80
The V30 has an ESS quad DAC, and puts out 2 Vrms into high impedance headphones. It makes a good DAP for many headphones, and even works for hard to drive ones, if you plug the output into a small headphones amp.
Well it did not feel like it or it just did not trigger high impedance mode. Though i never checked amp capability.
While dac is good and sq on v30 is as good as it can get for a phone. It felt like im listening to LX with failed DDs

Lol you did what ???
Yep, one hifi Listening lounge had all sorts of power hungry TOTL cans available but no amps or dacs to play them on lol.
They even had 3.5mm adapters plugged into them. I just could not resist.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #32 of 80
Ultimately you can only decide by hearing them.

I upgraded into a summit fi tube amp this year, and the differences where huge.

A certain Portion might be the harmonic distortion from the tubes, since my previous amp Was Solid State.

The New amp costs like 4x of my old one. It certainly is not 4x as good, but the differences were big enough thst it was worth it to me.

If you are on a tight budget and enjoy you Arya the way it is now, then just leave it at that.
Better will be possible, but sound quality does not increase linearly with price.

Nov 3, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #33 of 80
Ultimately you can only decide by hearing them.
literally the only thing that matters in this hobby.

So a short grown up story is like this

BF: Let’s have Sex Twice a day when we Are married
GF: why so many times ?
BF: because I love you!
GF: but that doesn’t involve sex! Love and sex are 2 different topics. Why do you love sex so much ?
BF: because it feels good!
GF: Sorry, I don’t feel anything....Bye!

Honestly, would you listen to the genres or recordings that you have no “joy” for ? Lol

Nov 3, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #34 of 80
I haven't heard many $1000 dollar amps, so my views maybe aren't that relevant. That being said, I entirely agree with your viewpoint on this subject. I haven't found any real evidence that an amp that is properly designed will sound different from the next. Tubes being an exception of course. Personally I have never been able to tell the difference between any SS amp, and that goes for plugging my cans directly into my computer versus my amp.

That being said, I also believe that if anyone wants to spend $1000 on an amp, then by all means, they should. It's all preference. Even if there is no audible difference. If the more expensive amp makes them happier, then get that, if the cheaper on does, go for that. But as far as sound goes, I have a hard time believing that a $1000 amp is that much better than a $100 one. If they're properly designed SS gear.

Nov 3, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #35 of 80
I haven't heard many $1000 dollar amps, so my views maybe aren't that relevant. That being said, I entirely agree with your viewpoint on this subject. I haven't found any real evidence that an amp that is properly designed will sound different from the next. Tubes being an exception of course. Personally I have never been able to tell the difference between any SS amp, and that goes for plugging my cans directly into my computer versus my amp.

That being said, I also believe that if anyone wants to spend $1000 on an amp, then by all means, they should. It's all preference. Even if there is no audible difference. If the more expensive amp makes them happier, then get that, if the cheaper on does, go for that. But as far as sound goes, I have a hard time believing that a $1000 amp is that much better than a $100 one. If they're properly designed SS gear.
You are a trully lucky man in this hobby. Nobody can deny that.

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #38 of 80
I wish I couldnt hear a difference... if only I was so blessed.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #40 of 80

I don't think anyone will say that a $1000 amp will be 10x better than a $100 amp. Everyone understands that there is the law of diminishing returns. There are obviously exceptions to the rule but even a properly designed $100 SS amp will not be able to drive something like a Susvara or Abyss 1266 to their limits. The reason being that the $100 amp was not designed to power those type of headphones. Just like a $1000 amp that is meant to power hungry headphones might not do as well with IEMs due to the higher noise floor. That doesn't mean that the $1000 amp wasn't designed properly, it just means that it was designed with a different purpose in mind.

In my experience as a human being, the saying "you get what you pay for" rings true more times than not. Every company that sells audio equipment is also a business and look to make money. Generally there will be compromises made when you try to sell budget products compared to premium products. How that translates into sound quality is different with each product but one easy way to test would be to just buy high end gear from yesteryear that has dropped drastically in value and compare it to your budget stuff now. I think you'll be surprised what you can get in the $500-1000 range used.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #41 of 80
I also agree with you driftingbunnies. I suppose the numbers are extreme as well, I mean $100 for an amp isn't all that much and I do agree with you get what you pay for. I think what I was imagining more was like a moderately priced amp perhaps, if that makes sense. I think I was making generalizations without clarifying.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #42 of 80
Also whoever is quoting that hit job that Amir did on the yggdrasil seriously need to think outside of their ASR bubble. His measurements dont align with anyone else's and refused to let the unit come to normal operating conditions. Instead he felt it was cute to take a heat gun to a $2500 dac that wasnt his, that someone trust him with, and didnt ask for permission before potentially ruining it.

Just do a tiny bit more research before assuming everything someone tells you is true...

Nov 3, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #44 of 80
I know it's not a 1k to 100 comparison but if you read some people on forums they say there's a discernible difference between say the Asgard and a magni.

Well there's an interview with Jason Stoddard on youtube and he says all your paying extra for is basically more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back