How inaccurate is the sound coming from my Behringer UCA222(using lower impedance headphones)?
Jan 4, 2017 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JayNetTech5

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using headphones that aren't suppose to be used with the UCA222 based on what I read about it. The output impedance of the unit is 50 ohms, but my Audio-Technica AD700Xs are 32 ohms, and I'm reading that using headphones which have a lower impedance than the output impedance of the unit can cause a fluctuation in the frequency response of the headphones that are plugged into it. From what I've read, it's more of an issue with 16 ohm IEMs, but didn't hear much about full-size efficient headphones being a major problem. I will admit though, that I cannot get big volume when I plug my AD700Xs into the Behringer compared to my 56 ohm JVC HA-RX900s, but the overall sound quality/conversion is still better than my onboard/mobo sound. I just want to know how much sound/quality loss and change in frequency response am I getting while using my AD700Xs with the UCA222, and the reason it sounds "better" to my ears is the result of said frequency response/quality change?

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 6
I would suggest replacing the UCS222 with a FiiO Q1 USB-DAC/amp or a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.
If your more into music, then get the Q1, if more into FPS gaming, then get the SB-Z card.

The AD700X has a very light bass and because of impedance issues, the UCA222 50-Ohm output impedance might be causing a bloated (louder, less detailed bass).
So you might be liking the increase in bass, with the UCA222/AD700X combo.
The Q1 has a less then 1-Ohm output impedance, which should help bring out the audio detail from the AD700X
(but you would get less bloated bass, I'm not a fan of bloated bass)
The SB-Z has a 22-Ohm output impedance, so it's somewhere between the Q1 and UCA222.
But the SB-Z does come with a nice CS4398 DAC chip :)
(which should easily be better then whatever DAC chip the UCA222 comes with)
and technically a bit better the the Q1's DAC chip)

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 6
  I would suggest replacing the UCS222 with a FiiO Q1 USB-DAC/amp or a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.
If your more into music, then get the Q1, if more into FPS gaming, then get the SB-Z card.

The AD700X has a very light bass and because of impedance issues, the UCA222 50-Ohm output impedance might be causing a bloated (louder, less detailed bass).
So you might be liking the increase in bass, with the UCA222/AD700X combo.
The Q1 has a less then 1-Ohm output impedance, which should help bring out the audio detail from the AD700X
(but you would get less bloated bass, I'm not a fan of bloated bass)
The SB-Z has a 22-Ohm output impedance, so it's somewhere between the Q1 and UCA222.
But the SB-Z does come with a nice CS4398 DAC chip :)
(which should easily be better then whatever DAC chip the UCA222 comes with)
and technically a bit better the the Q1's DAC chip)

I'm actually getting less bass/impact with the UCA222 compared to my mobo. The UCA222 sounds flatter in the lower frequencies, but I can hear more details/sparkliness in the music, like the instruments are more separated, so it has a little bit of thinness in comparison, but it sounds less muffled in some regards. I feel like there's a volume fluctuation between different songs and parts of the music as well (I guess what you'd call dynamic, in audiophile terms), whereas the mobo gives me a more consistent bland sound. I feel like the mobo gives me sharper highs, but they sound terrible on some songs, like gritty, I guess? I feel like the UCA222 doesn't reach the tippity top on some songs, almost a slight blandness in the treble, but it sounds a tad smoother than on the mobo. I really like how on the UCA222, I can hear "hidden" details in songs that I wouldn't normally hear coming out of other devices. My problem with the FiiO DAC/amps, is that they all seem to use the same TI PCM5102, which I felt had no depth to the soundstage, and wasn't as detailed as the UCA222 I'm using right now, at least on the K1 that I've owned. I really want a Fulla, because of its AKM DAC, even though the casing design is hideous. I've developed a bias toward AKM DACs because of how good the SCPH-1001/5501 model PlayStations sound with them installed. AKM seems rare when it comes to inexpensive DAC/amps, but I guess there's a reason for that and why I like them so much.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 6
  I'm actually getting less bass/impact with the UCA222 compared to my mobo. The UCA222 sounds flatter in the lower frequencies, but I can hear more details/sparkliness in the music, like the instruments are more separated, so it has a little bit of thinness in comparison, but it sounds less muffled in some regards. I feel like there's a volume fluctuation between different songs and parts of the music as well (I guess what you'd call dynamic, in audiophile terms), whereas the mobo gives me a more consistent bland sound. I feel like the mobo gives me sharper highs, but they sound terrible on some songs, like gritty, I guess? I feel like the UCA222 doesn't reach the tippity top on some songs, almost a slight blandness in the treble, but it sounds a tad smoother than on the mobo. I really like how on the UCA222, I can hear "hidden" details in songs that I wouldn't normally hear coming out of other devices. My problem with the FiiO DAC/amps, is that they all seem to use the same TI PCM5102, which I felt had no depth to the soundstage, and wasn't as detailed as the UCA222 I'm using right now, at least on the K1 that I've owned. I really want a Fulla, because of its AKM DAC, even though the casing design is hideous. I've developed a bias toward AKM DACs because of how good the SCPH-1001/5501 model PlayStations sound with them installed. AKM seems rare when it comes to inexpensive DAC/amps, but I guess there's a reason for that and why I like them so much.

If your willing to budget for the Schiit Fulla 2 ($100), go for it.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 6
It's a shame, because, the Behringer UCA222 is so good, but the amp sucks. The more and more I listen, they power my AD700Xs better than my 56ohm HA-RX900s. I would think they'd provide better power over the AD700Xs, considering that they have a slightly higher impedance than the output impedance of the UCA222. When I plug my HA-RX900s into my phone, the sound is more airy with a bigger soundstage, but it's the opposite for my AD700Xs.

Also, I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B16X7WY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It's suppose to be better than the DragonFly Black v1.5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back