How in the f...?! (Alternatives to Sony NWZ-A15?)
Aug 12, 2016 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Carrow

500+ Head-Fier
I'm on holiday at the moment, in Portugal, and I brought my Sony NWZ-A15 with me (paired with recently-acquired Soundmagic E50s). I was hoping to get a lot of use out of it over the week I would be here.

Welp. So much for that.

Last night, in my sleep, I apparently knocked the thing off my bed with enough force to dent it (how?!). There's a huge dent in the left-facing side of the diamond control pad, which has rendered that part of the pad inoperable. I could deal with that, but it gets worse: the thing won't turn on. At all.

I knew something was wrong when I looked at the screen and saw that the four squares in the bottom-right corner of the screen - the ones that usually show up after a library update - were there when they shouldn't have been. They weren't moving either. So the first thing I do is I grab a hair-pin and boop the reset hole. It switches it off just fine, but now it won't respond to anything at all. Crap.

[Ned Flanders voice]I'M A MUR-DIDDLY-URDERER!!![/Ned Flanders voice]

I took the 128gig microSD card out, and now what we have here is a €179 paperweight that I bought the day I was due to fly out to Amsterdam, May 31st 2016. So it lasted me a grand total of not even six weeks. I really don't need to deal with this right now, to say the least.

What would Head-Fi recommend as an alternative, at a similar price point (up to €200), with similar capacity options (128gb microSD or better), decent battery life and support for lossless audio? I don't want to just replace this thing because what I did shouldn't have been enough to kill it and I have my doubts about build quality. Thanks a lot in advance - doesn't matter what you guys recommend me because HF is full of people who know their **** and make me look like an amateur when it comes to audio. Have at it :)

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 9
^^

What he said. And check Penon Audio. They are a popular international vendor here on Head-Fi. Might have better prices for you: http://penonaudio.com/music-mp3-players/Portable?sort=pd.name&order=ASC

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Update: It started working again but continues to malfunction so I'm putting it out of its misery tomorrow. Someone relatively local is selling an iBasso DX50 with all accessories for--get this--€150, free registered shipping included. 

Looking them up online tells me they usually go for twice that, and its microSD slot supports cards up to a hypothetical 2TB!!! (Largest one on the market is 200gig, AFAIK.)

Sounds like a bargain, so I'll pick it up asap as replacing my DAP is priority one for me at the moment since this whole incident couldn't have happened at a worse time if it had tried. omg.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 9

Someone was able to use 1TB on it already via a USB OTG cable and a portable, external HDD.

THAT'S what USB OTG is?? I didn't even know it existed until I saw the option for it on a previous FiiO DAP. Holy ****, game changer. They make 1TB flash drives now. omg

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 9
  THAT'S what USB OTG is?? I didn't even know it existed until I saw the option for it on a previous FiiO DAP. Holy ****, game changer. They make 1TB flash drives now. omg

USB OTG is basically a protocol that allows certain devices to act as a host device to another device - that includes peripherals (like how people have been using old game pads when they play games on Androids)...

Except this is the cheap and inconveniently wired way to do this when the NVidia Shield has a bigger screen, a wireless control pad dock, and can also run older gen console emulators

....DACs (as in the case of those who use Androids as transports)...

...or storage media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 9

USB OTG is basically a protocol that allows certain devices to act as a host device to another device - that includes peripherals (like how people have been using old game pads when they play games on Androids)...

Except this is the cheap and inconveniently wired way to do this when the NVidia Shield has a bigger screen, a wireless control pad dock, and can also run older gen console emulators

....DACs (as in the case of those who use Androids as transports)...

...or storage media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

What's that red thing you have on yr iBasso DXsomething (is that also a 50?)?

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 9
  What's that red thing you have on yr iBasso DXsomething (is that also a 50?)?

Not mine, it's from the DX50 thread. It's just a red wrist strap that straps the DX50 and an amplifier together. Among those pics my system is the second one.

Fiio came up with another way to stack amps and players, but AFAIK these will mostly fit only their own amps. And you still need to have something between them so as not to scratch either.
http://store.treoo.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/c6e2287b5e4e2cef574962ca1322457f/f/i/fiio_hs16_x5_stacking_kit_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back