How important is power source/cables
May 24, 2010 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

molokovellocet

Head-Fier
How important are these? I have my amp and DAC connected to a Backup UPS that my PC is also connected to. The power cord is an extra one from the monitor kind of thin. Do these things make a big difference in sound?

May 24, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Two Camps here VANDIT, IMO I believe Cables and dedicated lines including the "RIGHT" power regulators makes a huge difference.....I can hear the difference more in my Listening Rm, then sitting at my computer listening to my headphone system. But that system also has silver Ics. 9g. per leg silver plated copper power cables. A silver ribbon digital Ic. and a power regulator,A Tube powered "Lambda" So, YEP I'm a believer........Some guys will tell you wire is wire...and that's OK with me also....Just enjoy your music!!!

May 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 13
If you got money to spare why not. If you bought some expansive exotic cables you are likely to perceive  an improvement. It won't be real but for many ignorance is bliss.
I expect proper power filtration to be part of the design of any electronic product that requires it. if you need extra filtration for you amp or dac to sound good the engineers obviously hasn't' done a very good job. That's another story if you live in a country where the supply of electricity is rather patchy and the infrastructure of very poor quality.

May 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 13
I read somewhere that budget UPS unit were actually best to avoid to power amp and DAC as they were found to degrade the sound. Can't remember the explanation and I am not sure if that's true but you might want to look into it.

May 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 13
I think the main issues with budget UPS is reduced current draw (especially important for power amps), and dumping emf/surges to ground. This isn't true for all of them, but some may have very poor emf filtering that add noise at some frequencies.

May 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
If you got money to spare why not. If you bought some expansive exotic cables you are likely to perceive  an improvement. It won't be real but for many ignorance is bliss.
I expect proper power filtration to be part of the design of any electronic product that requires it. if you need extra filtration for you amp or dac to sound good the engineers obviously hasn't' done a very good job. That's another story if you live in a country where the supply of electricity is rather patchy and the infrastructure of very poor quality.

Just so you know, zenpunk, not all of "US" cable guys spend BIG BUCKS on Our ICs, Power cords etc...All but a few of my cables were Bought,those being the Digital Ics, the rest were all DIY "copies" of the high dollar types, that all I really had in them, dollar wise was my time.......Sure you have to buy good connectors/IEC plugs,etc,etc but If you've never made any Ics or especially nice power cords you can't really say "to hear a difference is IGNORANT BLISS".....But you can go ahead and use your Lamp cord for your wires!  This is what 57yrs in audio has taught me, along with many 'Golden Eared DIYers.....Ask some of them!!   Your comments on needing good power filtration because of poor engineers is some what true but ask any REAL Audio Engineer and he'll tell you it's the most important piece of the component and the price would go waaaayyyy up, if they designed and built it the correct way!!!   But like I've said before there're two camps on this subject......Who's right? Only each of us can say and believe what makes a difference.....Happy listening!!!
wink.gif

May 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I read somewhere that budget UPS unit were actually best to avoid to power amp and DAC as they were found to degrade the sound. Can't remember the explanation and I am not sure if that's true but you might want to look into it.

What is definition of budget UPS? Mine is APC ups es 750, got it for around $80.

May 26, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
If you DIY power cables, make sure you know what you're doing and have a hot enough iron for the wire gauge, don't burn down your home :).

That's EXCELLENT advice haloxt, I have seen some awfully small DIY guage wire used for POWER CORDS...........I'd be safe and at least use 12g......per leg

May 26, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 13
I don't know how UPS' are designed, but an active component like that may inadvertently remove/filter noise, inject noise, limit the current, or alter the waveform somehow (phase shift or change amplitude).. 
Any of these things may affect the device being powered, but in all likelihood.. not to a audible, let alone measurable degree.

The power cable imo, not a chance.. long as it has the appropriate number of wires of appropriate gauge, wired correctly to the prongs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back