How important is a good DAC in my case?
Jul 26, 2018 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wezzor

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I just purchased my first set of speakers to my computer, and I ended up buying the JBL LSR 305.
I've been googling a bit around trying to figure out what I should pair them with, but without success because everyone says different.
I'll mainly use them for music (spotify), but also sometimes gaming and movies. I won't be using them for producing music, and also not listening to high quality audio like FLAC.
So I'm not really sure how much I should spend on a DAC, and will even an untrained ear like I have hear any difference between let's say a $30 Behringer UCA202, and a $149 Schiit Modi 2 Uber which seems to be a popular DAC?
I mean, I paid $220 for the JBL's, and of course I could pay the same amount of money for a DAC, but is it really worth it? It feels like I'd get out much more of just buying a better sets of speakers then.
So what would you guys recommend me to buy? I just want a good piece of equipment for a decent price.

I really appreciate any help you guys can provide. :slight_smile:

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 10
I've used my LSR305 on stands with a FiiO E10K. It was a very nice match to my ears.
I've also used them with the smaller K1 but preferred the E10K's tighter sound to pair with the slightly warm bass of the JBLs.

Your current source will surely play a role.
Some laptops and other devices with integrated audio solutions can sound very bad, while some can sound ok.
Going from a low grade DELL laptop to something like the E10K has shown a huge improvement in sound quality in my experience.
Moving from a much higher end Asus N-Series to something like the E10K showed a smaller, but still noticeable and (to my ears) important difference in terms of sound quality.

When it comes to speakers, placemant and the acoustics of the room matter as much as the speakers, so anything you can do to improve the acoustics of your room, will bring improvements as well. Unless you have the speakers on stands on a professionally treated room, I see little reason to spend a lot on a DAC. I've used the JBLs with a 400usd Bifrost 4490, as well as higher end DAPs like X5 3rd Gen, but at least in my experience the much more affordable E10K was more than fine for the JBL LSR305 (which were placed on stands on a slightly treated room by the way)

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Honestly, if your computer's sound card isn't crap, you probably wont need a DAC. Especially considering that you mostly stream music from Spotify and don't listen to any FLAC songs, you probably won't notice the difference.

If you're OK with how your audio sounds right now, then you probably won't benefit from a DAC. But, if you do feel like you need a DAC, both PurpleAngel and Me x3 made great recommendations.

Again, it depends on your situation, it's your choice.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi,
I just purchased my first set of speakers to my computer, and I ended up buying the JBL LSR 305.
I've been googling a bit around trying to figure out what I should pair them with, but without success because everyone says different.
I'll mainly use them for music (spotify), but also sometimes gaming and movies. I won't be using them for producing music, and also not listening to high quality audio like FLAC.
So I'm not really sure how much I should spend on a DAC, and will even an untrained ear like I have hear any difference between let's say a $30 Behringer UCA202, and a $149 Schiit Modi 2 Uber which seems to be a popular DAC?
I mean, I paid $220 for the JBL's, and of course I could pay the same amount of money for a DAC, but is it really worth it? It feels like I'd get out much more of just buying a better sets of speakers then.
So what would you guys recommend me to buy? I just want a good piece of equipment for a decent price.

I really appreciate any help you guys can provide. :slight_smile:

If you won't drive headphones might as well get the cheapest Scarlett interface with balanced preamp output (the cheapest model only has single ended). And no, it's not for the DAC chip, but for the preamp output. That way you have a convenient volume control near your head that will control both speakers instead of movign the gain knob on each cabinet or using Windows volume control (although Win10 AFAIK doesn't cut the bit length unlike older versions; but you still get a balanced connection with an audio interface).

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 10
Interesting question, and it's a very good one!
The source signal does matter a lot, but there are a couple of points that will influence what's the right answer for you!

* how good your current solution is
* how revealing and transparent your speakers are (and how the listening situation supports that)
* how sensitive you are to the influence of a DAC (+pre-amp)

I think in the end you can only try it... So the best would be if you had a friend with a DAC that you can borrow, to get a feeling for what influence a DAC has or can have.
Second option I'd consider would be to get a used one, that you may be able to sell again with little to no loss. Third option would be a HiFi Studio where you can listen to different DACs, just to get a feeling of what the differences can be.

The differences are subtle in some way, but fundamental in another.
They are not as obvious as differences between speakers, but they can make the difference between a smooth and liquid sound that you can enjoy for a long time and a sound that becomes fatiguing over time. A good DAC makes me want to listen more, and pulls me into the music.

Hope you find a way to try i!

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 10
I've used my LSR305 on stands with a FiiO E10K. It was a very nice match to my ears.
I've also used them with the smaller K1 but preferred the E10K's tighter sound to pair with the slightly warm bass of the JBLs.

Your current source will surely play a role.
Some laptops and other devices with integrated audio solutions can sound very bad, while some can sound ok.
Going from a low grade DELL laptop to something like the E10K has shown a huge improvement in sound quality in my experience.
Moving from a much higher end Asus N-Series to something like the E10K showed a smaller, but still noticeable and (to my ears) important difference in terms of sound quality.

When it comes to speakers, placemant and the acoustics of the room matter as much as the speakers, so anything you can do to improve the acoustics of your room, will bring improvements as well. Unless you have the speakers on stands on a professionally treated room, I see little reason to spend a lot on a DAC. I've used the JBLs with a 400usd Bifrost 4490, as well as higher end DAPs like X5 3rd Gen, but at least in my experience the much more affordable E10K was more than fine for the JBL LSR305 (which were placed on stands on a slightly treated room by the way)
The FiiO E10K really seems like a good choice I must say, and you also get a volume knob even if I have a pretty good one my keyboard I think :grin:
What cables would I need to hook it up with the rest?

Thank you!
Which of them would be the best choice?
Or should I just go with something like FiiO E10K as Me x3 recommended? I guess I won't notice a difference between these DACs anyway? I also noticed the FiiO E10K is pretty cheap in my country.

Honestly, if your computer's sound card isn't ****, you probably wont need a DAC. Especially considering that you mostly stream music from Spotify and don't listen to any FLAC songs, you probably won't notice the difference.

If you're OK with how your audio sounds right now, then you probably won't benefit from a DAC. But, if you do feel like you need a DAC, both PurpleAngel and Me x3 made great recommendations.

Again, it depends on your situation, it's your choice.
Well, this are the specs for my motherboard soundcard.
Realtek® ALC892 8 channels codec for HD audio
- Supports: Contact Identification, Multi Stream Streaming, Front Panel MIC Jack Retasking
Audio Features:
- Absolute Pitch - 192 kHz / 24-bit loss-free BD audio
- Optical S / PDIF output on the back panel
- DTS Ultra PC II
- DTS Connect
- Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analogue / digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference
- Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
- Audio amplifier: Provides the highest-quality sound for headphones and speakers
- Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
- Unique de-pop circuit: Reduces startup popping noise to audio outputs
- Top notch audio sensation delivers according to the audio configuration
- EMI protection cover to prevent electrical noise to affect the amplifier quality

I don't know if the soundcard ALC892 is any good, but at least I have Optical S / PDIF if that would make any difference in my situation.

If you won't drive headphones might as well get the cheapest Scarlett interface with balanced preamp output (the cheapest model only has single ended). And no, it's not for the DAC chip, but for the preamp output. That way you have a convenient volume control near your head that will control both speakers instead of movign the gain knob on each cabinet or using Windows volume control (although Win10 AFAIK doesn't cut the bit length unlike older versions; but you still get a balanced connection with an audio interface).
I checked out the Scarlett interface, and I guess you're talking about the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen2?
It's double the price if I compare it to the DACs the other forum members here recommend, and just for balanced connection? I won't be using keyboard, guitars etc anyway.
I mean, is it really a big chance I'll get problems if I use short (unbalanced) cables I guess you call it then?

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 10
What cables would I need to hook it up with the rest?

You need a "3,5 mm Jack stereo to 2 x 6.3 mm Jack mono" cable
You might consider the Adam Hall K3YWPP0300.
It's cheap and gets the job done.

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 10
A good DAC makes a difference. Perhaps it is required to have good speakers / HP to be able to hear it.
I reply because i see you ask about UCA202, which I do own. It is a good DAC, especially for the price. And make no mistake I am fairly new at this hobby.
However, I do hear discernible difference between UCA202 and my Denon 4802 being used as DAC. If I had to use popular terminology, I would say the stage size / immersion is much better / livelier / bigger with the 4802. This is listening to fairly high quality 320 bps MP3 using my HD600 (same amp for test).
Now just for clarity, I bought Denon because of its amazing amp section to power my speakers, and as a bonus it has very good DAC in my opinion. I hunted for a very good unit for months on ebay and finally got one for about $200 shipped and may be best $200 I'd spent in a long time.

Unfortunately, sound is highly subjective medium, so you may have to try yourself to judge. Does Schiit offer a 30 day trial on their products?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 10
I checked out the Scarlett interface, and I guess you're talking about the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen2?
It's double the price if I compare it to the DACs the other forum members here recommend, and just for balanced connection? I won't be using keyboard, guitars etc anyway.
I mean, is it really a big chance I'll get problems if I use short (unbalanced) cables I guess you call it then?

Well for one thing the instruments go into the microphone input which goes into the ADC chip. What you need is the DAC chip going into a preamp output, balanced or not.

If you can return the item then get the cheapest Scarlet Solo and run RCA to TRRS or XLR cables, that way if there's any noise issue you can just send it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back