How important are the unbalanced xlr interconnect cables (DAC to preamp)
Nov 27, 2015 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dmbr

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all!

I'm using a Xonar Essence One Muses Edition for a DAC and an Yuling A28 fully balanced preamp with HD800's + Fat Pipe Headroom cable (3-pin XLR).

For the moment I'm using these cables for interconnects: http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/381462340031

Do these do my setup justice?

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 7
Yes, if they sound good!

A fine sentiment, but I more mean to ask if the interconnects are significantly holding back my SQ...

I suppose an easier way to phrase it would be: if I picked up a well-regarded $100 pair of interconnects to upgrade my current $40 pair, would that provide a noticeable improvement in sound quality?

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 7

I must have sounded unhelpful, but I didn't mean to. This is a hobby that is so subjective that it is hard to know where to begin. If I think about the equipment I started with, an iPod, and where I am now, with an AK100 and a Chord Hugo, there is a significant distance travelled; but, is it all quantifiable? I am not so sure. I can now hear things I couldn't before, but has it increased my enjoyment of the music in direct correlation with the funds set? Again, I am not so sure.

If what you have now sounds good to you, it is! Could it sound better, probably. But will it make you happier? Only you can answer that.

Best wishes

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 7
XLR interconnects are more often used in a balanced interconnect system whereas RCA coax interconnects are used in an unbalanced system.
But in any case, for 1 to 3 meter long cables just about any Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cable will do. Pros often use 100 meter long XLR cables and they require more thought.

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 7
A fine sentiment, but I more mean to ask if the interconnects are significantly holding back my SQ...

I suppose an easier way to phrase it would be: if I picked up a well-regarded $100 pair of interconnects to upgrade my current $40 pair, would that provide a noticeable improvement in sound quality?

IMHO No, anything more expensive than what you have is a waste of money. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 7

The Canare L-4E6S is what Blue Jeans uses in their balanced interconnect. I think you've got a pretty good cable there, especially at the price you paid. If you decide to spend more money, you'll probably buy yourself a different sound, though I bet it'll be fairly subtle to detect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back