How important are Steps?
Aug 5, 2005 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering, how important are stepped attenuators?

I know they keep better balance between the R/L channels, but other than that - are there any sonic improvements?

I am asking because I was wondering about having my GS1 upgraded into a stepped knob.

Aug 5, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the link JW! Btw, how are the banana hangers?

biggrin.gif

I'm giving this serious thought since I will be using my GS1 as my preamp and I want it to be perfect in its new job.

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 9
They're working out great. I use mine daily. I saw them in use at my friend's place the other day, so I know it does the trick for him... haven't heard back from the other yet, but when I do, I'll let you know what he thinks.

I was going to add a stepped attenuator to an integrated amp I have, but never got around to it (space issue in the component and laziness on my part.) Besides repeatable, precisely matched settings, you may also get a lower noise floor - it's probably well worth doing.

Aug 5, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
They're working out great. I use mine daily. I saw them in use at my friend's place the other day, so I know it does the trick for him... haven't heard back from the other yet, but when I do, I'll let you know what he thinks.

I was going to add a stepped attenuator to an integrated amp I have, but never got around to it (space issue in the component and laziness on my part.) Besides repeatable, precisely matched settings, you may also get a lower noise floor - it's probably well worth doing.

BTW, the coffee was good!

icon10.gif

So... lower noise floor and balance. Hmm...

Aug 5, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 9
The link given by Jeff Wong is very interesting and well worth reading. However, I would like to suggest some caution. Although many people like what stepped volume controls such as the DACT do, there are other people who feel that they can never get the volume "just right". So, "try before you buy" (if you can) is probably a good idea. If you can't try the specific unit you are interested in, at least try something with a stepped volume control to see whether or not you are going to be bothered by the step size. It appears to me that (like almost everything else) some people are more bothered by this than others.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldears
The link given by Jeff Wong is very interesting and well worth reading. However, I would like to suggest some caution. Although many people like what stepped volume controls such as the DACT do, there are other people who feel that they can never get the volume "just right". So, "try before you buy" (if you can) is probably a good idea. If you can't try the specific unit you are interested in, at least try something with a stepped volume control to see whether or not you are going to be bothered by the step size. It appears to me that (like almost everything else) some people are more bothered by this than others.

Headroom's stepped attenuator has a three-step gain switch so that you will find a perfect volume level for most of situation. At least, I haven't wished for normal potentiometer pod yet
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 9
The GS1 has a low/hi gain switch so this helps with the stepped situation.

Now I gotta think about if steps are worth it.

cool.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldears
there are other people who feel that they can never get the volume "just right".

I am in this boat, especially since my natural listening level is quite low and all my cans are efficient, so I end up with a small portion of the pot to work with. I am very picky about volume level and SAs drive me nuts. Gain switch is not really a solution, on many amps switching gain changes the sound quite a bit. Not to mention the constant adjusting is annoying unless you like feeling like you're flying the NCC-1701 (no bloody a,b,c, etc)
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back