How I Improve my Laptops Sound Quality under $20
Jun 2, 2008 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

this is for those who are tired of pathetic dull sound quality of their laptop and dont have a budget.

I discovered this accidentaly when a bolt of Audiophilia Wave struck me.

I have these Logitech R-21 speakers...entry level logitech speakers with a Sub-woofer.

So what did i do?
I connected my laptop to them...and used an Extension Audio cable to connect my Headphones to the Speakers headphone jack.

BECAUSE the speakers have separate power supply and a good power input...they basically Amped up my Laptops sound and gave a greater soundstage to my Headphones.

Most skeptics and Amp fanboys wont believe but i recommend u to try yourself.

You can also do it!

Just buy a set of inexpensive 2.1 Desktop speakers..preferrably Logitech as its tried & tested.... Let your Laptops out signal pass through them and it will sound much more alive via the Speakers processed headphone jack.

Cheers!

Let me know what u think of this CHEAP method of improving sound quality.

P.S: Works well with headphones upto 64 Ohm... After that u ll need a Good Headphone Amp.

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...{stuff}...

P.S: Works well with headphones upto 64 Ohm... After that u ll need a Good Headphone Amp.

Do you have learning difficulties? I ask because...

You were unaware of the actual meaning of the Ohms specifications of headphones and what they actually mean when you joined head-fi.

Posted: 05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Quote:

I have realized that Great headphones dont sound bassy or punchy...they offer the most neutral sound. and the most deep with most details.

So dont go for Aurvana.

Go for Sennheiser 32 Ohm's.

that way u wont need amps.

Posted: 05-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Quote:

So for 32 Ohm ... no Amps are required rite?
Me using HD205..

Was gonna do some Internet Radio shows...and gotta know what is my audience hearing ..so really accurate.

You then asked for clarification in this thread and received a selection of educational answers.

Not that you were listening, because you asked again in this thread and had other explanations plus a link back to your original thread with the other answers.

And yet, you still failed to take anything in...

Posted: 05-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Quote:

I guess you will have to go for 32 -64 Ohm Impedance as you aint gonna use Amps.

Checkout Senns HD270 : Sennheiser Worldwide: HD 270-V1 - HD 270-V1

and Checkout cheaper cousin of HD25 : Sennheiser Worldwide: HD 25-SP II - HD 25-SP II

And started to combine your misunderstanding of matters with your posts waxing unconditional love for the HD205 thusly:

Posted 05-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Quote:

Try HD205..the latest from Sennheiser...

they are 32 ohm hence perfect for mp3 players & laptops.

marketed as DJ & Studio monitoring...they are excellent for Casual listening.

hd2052.jpg

Posted: 05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Quote:

You will have to go for Supra-aural as they are portable & offer equally good sound quality & since its iPodtouch ..u should focus on 32 OHm.

I think Sennheiser HD205 is perfect for u..

hd2052.jpg

1950312852_ac011f1af5.jpg

BMR169839.jpg

To remember to check them out..they are used for Studio monitoring & DJing but are great for Casual listening too.

Despite your mentioning over a selection of posts (including this thread) that you are having to use vast amounts of EQ and sound enhancement to get them to sound good. That includes, but presumably isnt limited to the X-Fi Crystalizer, SRS Audio Sandbox and DFX Audio Enhancer (which is somewhat in contradiction of your Early post {first quote} extolling the virtues of neutral sound).

To return to the rest of your post:

Quote:

Hi guys,

this is for those who are tired of pathetic dull sound quality of their laptop and dont have a budget.

I discovered this accidentaly[sic] when a bolt of Audiophilia Wave struck me.

I have these Logitech R-21 speakers...entry level logitech speakers with a Sub-woofer.

So what did i do?
I connected my laptop to them...and used an Extension Audio cable to connect my Headphones to the Speakers headphone jack.

BECAUSE the speakers have separate power supply and a good power input...they basically Amped up my Laptops sound and gave a greater soundstage to my Headphones.

They made them louder. As by your own unbreakable preconceptions, low Ohm headphones don't need an amp, so the Logitech speakers cant have made a difference, it must just be louder.

Quote:

Most skeptics[sic] and Amp fanboys wont believe but i recommend u to try yourself.

Gosh a sceptic being sceptical? What would the chances be?

Quote:

You can also do it!

rockyarms03ii-1.jpg

Yea!

Quote:

Just buy a set of inexpensive 2.1 Desktop speakers..preferrably[sic] Logitech as its tried & tested.... Let your Laptops out signal pass through them and it will sound much more alive via the Speakers processed headphone jack.

Cheers!

Let me know what u think of this CHEAP method of improving sound quality.
]

I think that you have to get me to faceplam one more time before I eat my keyboard.

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

...a bolt of Audiophilia Wave struck me.

...BECAUSE the speakers have separate power supply and a good power input...they basically Amped up my Laptops sound and gave a greater soundstage to my Headphones

...preferrably Logitech as its tried & tested.... Let your Laptops out signal pass through them and it will sound much more alive

...well with headphones upto 64 Ohm... After that u ll need a Good Headphone Amp.

Tut tut tut...sigh...

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 40
So basically your telling us to use a external amp to drive our headphones with.

Why hasn't anyone else thought of that?

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 40
honestly, straight out of my soundcard, my PX100 sounded much better then through the headphone out on my klipsch (now sold, using CBS Model 12s now, the amp is actually pretty good.)

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
___Words___.

How much time did u waste on the reply?

Coz it took me much less to create the Original post.

the Issue was with MY laptop..and solved it.
The sound was too low and at high levels only distorted...

I didnt wanna spend on Soundcard without even hearing them..

even the 32 Ohm HD205's sounded better on my iPod than my laptop.

Using the method above i resolved my issue and am enjoying music.

Whereas YOU.... u wasted your energy on Bashing the thread.

P.S: This thread must be indexed in google already...so people with poor laptop soundcard must be finding it useful.

I bet they ll be more concerned about their problem than Yours.

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 40
i mean, i can see how the amp might help you a bit by filling up the sound a bit..however its garbage in garbage out..your source is what sounds bad, amping that badness = amped badness.

We need crappyjones here to make a much better equation to show you =)

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically your telling us to use a external amp to drive our headphones with.

Why hasn't anyone else thought of that?

I am not telling u to use Guitar Amps for headphones .

This is Computer audio section ..

Maybe u r in the wrong section?

Here we discuss computer audio...and most computer users have a Table on which they place their comps.

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i mean, i can see how the amp might help you a bit by filling up the sound a bit..however its garbage in garbage out..your source is what sounds bad, amping that badness = amped badness.

We need crappyjones here to make a much better equation to show you =)

My laptops soundcard sucks really bad...very underpowered.
I went to buy Creative USB Soundcards but they didnt let me listen before buying....so i ditched the plan.

Finally this is what helped me...

The Source is all 320 kbps (VBR).

What Soundcard do u use?

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

I am not telling u to use Guitar Amps for headphones .

This is Computer audio section ..

Maybe u r in the wrong section?

Here we discuss computer audio...and most computer users have a Table on which they place their comps.

GUITAR AMPS?! Did you just reduce the whole amp following on head-fi to GUITAR AMPS?!

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

[/B]

What Soundcard do u use?

in my home PC im using a Xfi Xtrememusic...

In my Laptop im using a Go-Vibe Mini-USB DAC. My last laptop had nasty AC97 sound...which was awful amped or not...the usb DAC route completely destroys the on board sound.

My new laptop has the realtek HD sound, which again is barely decent for music, at least to my ears.

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 40
i think you don't speak about the same sound...
Quality is personal and relative.
Everyone can find it's own value.
If you are happy with your system, there are no problem at all.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

How much time did u waste on the reply?

Coz it took me much less to create the Original post.

I don't consider my repeated attempts to educate you to be time wasted. And if you want people to spend less time on replies then you spend on the original post, then you have an odd sense of priority.

Quote:

the Issue was with MY laptop..and solved it.
The sound was too low and at high levels only distorted...

I didnt wanna spend on Soundcard without even hearing them..

even the 32 Ohm HD205's sounded better on my iPod than my laptop.

Using the method above i resolved my issue and am enjoying music.

Whereas YOU.... u wasted your energy on Bashing the thread.

But I can has thinked 32 ohm headphones has doesnt needz amp?

Quote:

P.S: This thread must be indexed in google already...so people with poor laptop soundcard must be finding it useful.

Somewhat less useful than the hundreds of other indexed threads with more cohesive information I should wager.

Quote:

I bet they ll be more concerned about their problem than Yours.

I don't have a problem. So I should imagine that's true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back