How I got to my my happy place, (formerly the how to spend $3000 thread)
Oct 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #91 of 188
Good question, Im talking about my current DT990s 250 ohm.

I've heard the T1 before and while I thought it was good, I didn't think it made "that" much of a leap from the DT series.  Many will disagree but thats how I heard it.  Better... yes, but not for twice what a BlackDragon DT990/600 would cost me, or 7 times what my current DT990s/250 cost me.  Plus the sound sig of the T1 is warmer than the DT series, something I'm not looking for in my headphones right now.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #95 of 188
Updated, and taking no prisoners.  A shoot towards the absolute pinnacle of headphone listening.  No more "mid-fi" messing around. Don't get me wrong, mid-fi contains magic aplenty.

So see the first post on the first page for details.  I would love to hear feedback, comments on gear synergy, or personal experience with this level of gear, or even this gear in particular. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #96 of 188
Luxman DA-200? This seems to be brand new from Luxman. A DAC section borrowed from the D-05 and the amp module is from the P1U. Might this be my perfect solution to go all luxman, source to amp, without having to go back to disc spinners. Methinks it might be, methinks it just might be.

One could use it as a standalone DAC, using the fixed or variable out, or use another digitial source with the analog inputs.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #97 of 188
Apparently the HE-6 is $1199 standard retail. I'm hoping for a pre-order cost a bit lower, myself. Was expecting to be closer to LCD-2 price of $945.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #98 of 188
Wow!  Thats a bit higher than I was hoping for too.  But you gotta pay for performance.  And its not like the HE-5LE suddenly became lesser sounding, so we got that going for us too.

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #99 of 188

Quote:
Apparently the HE-6 is $1199 standard retail. I'm hoping for a pre-order cost a bit lower, myself. Was expecting to be closer to LCD-2 price of $945.

So much for being priced like the LCD-2. 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #100 of 188
A complete modern approach.  Simple, elegant, clean, luxurious and awesome interface.  

A 21 inch iMac operating as a dedicated music server, feeding a digital signal over a Cardas Clear USB to the Luxman DA-200.  Cardas power cable for the Luxman of course.

Plug in headphones of choice and relax into the chair.

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #101 of 188

Quote:
A complete modern approach.  Simple, elegant, clean, luxurious and awesome interface.  

A 21 inch iMac operating as a dedicated music server, feeding a digital signal over a Cardas Clear USB to the Luxman DA-200.  Cardas power cable for the Luxman of course.

Plug in headphones of choice and relax into the chair.

That looks gorgeous. If I ever went with a dedicated DAC, it would probably be this Luxman.

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #105 of 188
So here are two options.  

The first is based around the RSA Raptor and BlackDragon DT990s.  I could use my current laptop, DAC, and cables, and only buy the Raptor and BlackDragons for $2000.00, or If I have more money at the time, buy a iMac as a dedicated music server.

Or option number 2.

Here I go high and mighty.  This could happen only if I have $3000.00.  This is built around the Luxman SQ-N100 and HE-5.  Again using my current MacBook as a server, HRT and cables.

I personally prefer option 2, but I may not have that much money. 

Comments... Criticism.... suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back