How hot is a Sennheiser HD595
Mar 17, 2010 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

thuantran

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I'm using the Koss PortaPro (just started
biggrin.gif
), and I want to buy something in the price range of the HD595 to enjoy better sound quality, and less force clamping on my ears. I live in a hot tropical country and sometimes I don't sit in a room with an AC. The only thing I'm concerned with this purchase is whether the HD595 will have chambers that will serve as sauna for my ears or it's as cool as the PortaPro? If it's hot then any other recommendation on a headphone, one that sounds good without a headamp as I don't have one right now. Or should I buy a headamp first? I've been using ASUS Xonar DX or my Samsung U4 with my PortaPro. The U4 is a little weak to drive the PortaPro to its full bass potential but I say I prefer that actually.

The information I found on the net and specifically here is only about how good a headphone sounds and how comfortable it is to wear, but nothing specific on how hot a headphone is, that's my question.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 16
I haven't had a HD595 for a long time, but I didn't remember huge problems, it's an open phone with holes to let in air. As for amping, the HD595 is "pretty alright / good" without an amp but certainty gets a lot better with one. If you're short on cash right save up for a nicer amp in the future that will power a variety of phones, depending on whether you want to go IEM or big and high impedance in the future.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 16
In the few weeks I had w/ the HD595's, I found them very comfortable (the most comfortable compared to all the cans listed on my sig), due to the velour earpads, the light clamping force on the ears, and the overall light weight of the headphones. I've worn them for periods longer than 2 hours w/ out any discomfort from my ears getting too hot. Although keep in mind that my listening environment differs from yours. My average room temperature can range from 55-75 degrees F. Not too sure if the same comfort levels would apply to your conditions, but I'm sure many will agree that the HD595's are generally one of the most comfortable headphones.

As for sound quality, In my opinion, for it's price they are a solid all-around set of headphones, which are fairly easy to drive.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 16
I've worn my HD595s on the rare occasions we've had hot weather in the UK, and they do get warm but not uncomfortably so. I think the velvet pads help in this respect; leather(ette) pads would make you sweat more.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm going for it
biggrin.gif
. And later I guess, I'll get a Zero DAC or the JAVS UHF-1 to go with it.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 16
Hot? they're damn sexy!
Seriously if they are anything like the HD555 they'll be fine

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 16
Yeah! HD555 is so comfort to wear.

But doesn't HD595 often show up in "Headphones that you regretted to buy the most?" thread?

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 16
I don't have AC either and the Australian summer has been hot this year. Anything over 28 degrees Celsius means no headphone usage (most days are over in summer - it is now autumn and night-time listening is bearable) - all circumaural phones (most high-end phones) are hot at that temperature - the only phone I might use is the PX100 which leaves your ear flaps exposed so they can dissipate heat.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet the OP is from Viet Nam, based on his name and "hot tropical country"
biggrin.gif

And his HCMC location?
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 16
It is open headphone and has velour pads and circumaular design. It is warmer than without headphones obviously, but they do breath well enough. If you try closed headphones, especially ones with pleather or leather pads, heat might be a problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back