How head-fi has changed your life....
Sep 25, 2003 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

finleyville

100+ Head-Fier
Anyway...

I was just reflecting on how this site has affected me. We all know that this place has got to be one of the universe's largest black holes for your valuable time and precious money. And in the grand scheme of things it's just a forum.

However, my life has changed from being a member here.

I've learned much concerning all types of audio equipment from very knowledgable people. I've discovered many music artists that I never would have without this place. I have broadened my life by learning to build small electronic DIY amps with the help from many members.

But it's the people here that have made the most impact. Since my job is very specialized, my coworkers are mostly cut from the same cloth. This place is visited by people from many countries, varied ages and experience levels, different backgrounds, and multiple abilities to properly express their (mostly intelligent) thoughts into print!
wink.gif
(read: logical arguments vs. trolling and flame wars) This has opened my eyes to many new ideas and radical opinions I would never have found myself. Some of the people found here are some of the nicest and giving anywhere on the planet. Plus the support and help that has been shown for fellow members here sometimes stops me short. (Just follow Tuberoller's incident/recovery with the flowers, cards, and massive get well thread for one example.)

Now my life definitely does not revolve around this site or the computer. If fact, I'm finding less and less time to spend with my friends here. I just found it interesting to find that my life has been directly affected with my participation in this forum.

Has anyone else been affected or am I just an overly emotional, easily impressionable person?
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm glad your Head-fi experience has enriched you. I for one have become impoverished by the experience!

280smile.gif

--Chris

Sep 25, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 14
I've learned to stay away from forums that encourage spending money to satisfy an internal need that will NEVER be satisfied
wink.gif

I'd have to say my favorite board here is the music one, it's a great way to get some exposure to some music I normally wouldn't consider.

Sep 25, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 14
lots of new music and my bank account continues to suffer because all of the bullies around this board keep forcing me to buy stuff I clearly don't need!

oh wait, maybe those aren't the bullies on this board, those may just be the voices I hear inside my head.....

Sep 25, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 14
Well, in several ways...

(1) My equipment/setup is better than ever, although compared to some setups here that's not saying much.
(2) My wallet is smaller, although it wasn't too big to begin with
biggrin.gif

(3) Been greatly enjoying the conversation and community here, even though I tend to be a loudmouth, post way too often and spend far too much time here. Hope nobody objects too much, I'm just having fun...

And that's it... In essence, I've been having more fun since joining, and have learned a great deal. Been to one meet already (and hopefully another soon). Nice vibrant community, helped along by a surprising feeling of equality between moderators and members and overall (imo) excellent moderation, particularly compared to other boards I've been on.

Sep 25, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 14
I really like this forum and its community. I've learned s huge deal about ears, headphones, and audio in general. Good site. Unfortunately, I don't have a wallet, so my parents' wallet is the one getting smaller.
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 14
I think we're all a little lighter in our pockets
biggrin.gif

For me Head-Fi has been and continues be a source of great enlightenment in the ways of audio and music in general.

The best think about head-fi is the kinship and it serves as a sort of refuge where one can come to discuss Headphone HiFi, Music and just life in general without being ridiculed for it.

Sep 26, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 14
Head-Fi has allowed me to get back into music. Then I expanded my music horizons and tried out stuff that I never thought I would try. I have also gotten more discerning in the quality of the recordings.
I think this place has also expanded my view of the world. It has taught me some things about using the computer and of course I learned a lot about headphones and headphone accessories.

Thanks to Head-Fi I have grown as a person. My bank account has shrunken but my mind has expanded.

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 14
Head-Fi taught me what an ass I was and it literally gave me a second chance to turn a leaf in my life. Not bad for a discussion forum...

I've learned an enormous amount of stuff about music first, uber-expensive & evolving audio / video equipment (second), and headphones / headphone amplifier (last). I've spent an inordinate amount of time perusing each one of the major forums every day. I've spent a lot more money than I ever imagined to get what I got today and I know for sure that my disease for upgraditis is incurable (so don't even try to cure me).

It's a nice hobby to have that lets me bleed off the stressors in my life. But it is not my profession. Heh, I can't imagine who I will become and what kind of time / money / energy I will pour into my double career paths in the next couple of years. I too am waiting for my rockets to come...

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 14
1. My back hurts from sitting in this stupid chair reading all these posts.
2. The credit card company got 3, or 4 months of interest from me this year, which is killing me inside.
3. I see nothing, but indestructible black boxes all around me.
4. I used to feel guilty buying expensive audio equipment until I looked at some member’s profiles.
5. Head-Fi has actually opened my eyes that not all people are bad.

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 14
The black holes thing. I picture my wallet flopping around in its death throes (?sp) like a fish out of water.

Sep 26, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 14
I've met a lot of great people here at Head-Fi, and it is a very enjoyable community, although my wallet is disagreeing. I don't know if it's been dramatically life changing, but it sure takes a lot of my time nearly every day to read what's here. I look forward to attending my first meet on Saturday so I can finally put a face on some of the people I have seen here. I don't know if I'll be leaving this place any day soon again, since there is so much more here than just headphone discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back