How have I not heard of Loudon Wainwright III?
Sep 26, 2007 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got done watching my newly purchased copy of 'Knocked Up'. Well, there's a couple interesting songs that wrap up the credits in the movie, so I found out who they were. Loudon Wainwright III? Never heard of him. So I go to his website and see that he's been recording for decades.

Anyhow, I've listened to 'Gray in L.A.' about 20 times in a row now and it's now my favorite song of the year. The song 'Daughter' is probably my SECOND favorite song of the year! I'm now going out to buy Loudon's "Strange Weirdos: Music From And Inspired By The Film Knocked Up"

If you haven't seen the movie 'Knocked Up', rent it tonight. If you haven't heard these songs by Loudon Wainwright III go to his website and listen. It'll change your life. Well, maybe not but they're pretty good songs.

Some Loudon Video Clips

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 13
In answer to your thread title: beats me! Um, you're fourteen?
wink.gif

He's good innee?! I remember way back when he sang Dead Skunk or whatever it was on UK TV...what a voice! opened you up & took you right into his world.
Mahvellous....

Thanks for the link

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In answer to your thread title: beats me! Um, you're fourteen?
wink.gif

He's good innee?! I remember way back when he sang Dead Skunk or whatever it was on UK TV...what a voice! opened you up & took you right into his world.
Mahvellous....

Thanks for the link

Well, not 14, but close enough at 23. Still, there's not too many people that sound like that that I haven't heard of!

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 13
Loudon always did the best Peel Sessions. I miss those days...
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Well, you have hit the mother lode on funny, smart lyrics. Only one thing better than Loudo recorded, and that's Loudo live. I first saw him in 1972 (yes, I am old), and he was great then. For the best of his stuff, check out Attempted Mustache, Unrequited, The BBC Sessions (a live greatest hits, of sort), Album II, So Damn Happy and Grown Man. And those are only half of his discography, but in my view, the best (I have every one of his albums). Most of all, if you ever get a chance to catch him, do not miss it. He's part-comedian (very cerebral), part-folksinger, part-lunatic. And he's all confidence on stage.

Glad to see someone from a new generation appreciate the man, in fact. He's a real survivor. Over the years, I've seen him perform maybe a half-dozen times, and every time, I left the show with a face full of hurt (from laughing and smiling). The man's a lyric genius, an American treasure (albeit a hidden one).

Enjoy.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 13
ditto for a Lyric genius, both on "funny" and more emotional/sadder songs.... Big fan of his, here...especially the "Career Moves" live album..."Unrequited" is also a great LP.

"come on, Mama, Come on, Lactate a While" ... Rufus is a t!t man ...best breastfeeding song ever
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 13
I'm completely sold. After I run this 'Strange Weirdos' disc into the ground I think I'm going to start to make my way through all of his albums that I can find. And if he comes anywhere near Phoenix, I'll be shure to catch him.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 13
Been listening to ol' Loud-O for years, but only saw him once, maybe six years ago. His son Rufus came on for a duet, which was unusual, because at the time they hadn't really resolved their differences (maybe still haven't; the kids grew up with Momma Kate McGarrigle and have said some pretty nasty things about Dad). Anyway, Rufus comes onstage flipping his hair back like he just stepped into the wind machine on a runway. Loudon looks into the audience and says "Okay, everyone tell Rufus how prrretty he is." I can't remember what song they did together, but I'm sure it wasn't the baby song "Rufus Is A Tit Man".
icon10.gif

Btw, Rufus does a great version of Loudon's "One Man Guy."

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 13
Wow, that must have been a great moment, seeing them together. He also has a duet with his daughter, Martha, that serves as his "explanation" for being a pretty lousy dad. But hey, most creative types have problems, or they'd have nothing to write songs about.

I love Sinatra too, as a singer in his prime.

Anyway, good move Ingo, you won't regret becoming a LWIII fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back