How has the economy affected you?
Sep 13, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #121 of 152
^I would not limit to just American schools.  The economy here has astronomical impacts around the globe and vice versa.  It's amazing what fear and speculation does to global markets.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #122 of 152
Yeah, all the empty strip malls and manufacturing plants I saw while driving to South Bend yesterday. Every other house with for sale signs in neighborhoods that were working in those abandoned factories and strip malls not that long ago. The number of older autos on the roads because no one can afford a new one. All the people being taken to the ER with preventable conditions because they can't afford healthcare. The same people who will be bankrupt for those bills because they don't have health insurance. The US economy was overcooked when credit cards were being sent daily to homes who couldn't qualify for them, people buying way beyond their station living in half million dollar homes with a BMW and Benz in the driveway, startup businesses being fully funded with no collateral. Today, take a drive through those neighborhoods and you'll see plenty of real evidence, not some flim flam numbers being broadcasted by the media.

I agree that there's evidence of the economy imploding, but it's not because the economy grew too rapidly. If you look at the growth rate of the GDP (World Back Google Link) you'll see that it's not doing well, even in the go-go period of the housing boom. The downturn in the US economy has roots reaching back to the 80s at the very least, when manufacturing and other jobs start moving overseas. That's the beginning of gutting the middle class, the loss of skilled and semi-skilled jobs that could support a family, buy a house, and some luxuries.

It's just that so many people, especially in white collar jobs are feeling the pinch now, largely as the result of the bubbles of the last decade.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #124 of 152

Quote:
^I would not limit to just American schools.  The economy here has astronomical impacts around the globe and vice versa.  It's amazing what fear and speculation does to global markets.

Where are you? (Chine, Japan?) Well anyways, over their is actually somewhat good. Obviously $2 an hour isnt good, but you guys are buying vintage audio like its food! Also you guys are buying your history back, which is great. Those damn chinese bronze bowls that are 400+ years old are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #126 of 152

Quote:
^USA.  It really doesn't matter, really. 

cool.gif
Just wondering, some economy's are different.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #127 of 152
True.  But my point is that all global economies, regardless of location directly impact each other.  It may not seem apparent or happen at the same time, but it will - like now.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #128 of 152

Quote:
True.  But my point is that all global economies, regardless of location directly impact each other.  It may not seem apparent or happen at the same time, but it will - like now.

Yeah. At the moment China is the world leader.

If they cut their economy from the market, we would all drown in debt.
If they decide to wage war against us all, we will all fall

China controls the large amount of money, people and strength to ask for anything.
I still love how N Korea demands things when they would be the first one to go if China revolts.

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #132 of 152

Quote:
Have you guys thought about moving to places with better economy? For example, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore or even China???

You make moving sound so easy, lol. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #133 of 152
If you're single, moving is a lot easier than if you have a family.  Also, moving to where there's jobs doesn't guarantee that you'll land one there.  Some countries won't hire you  because they prefer to hire citizens first over temporary foreigners.  And the costs of moving to said countries if you can get a working Visa, which is another big headache.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #134 of 152

Quote:
If you're single, moving is a lot easier than if you have a family.  Also, moving to where there's jobs doesn't guarantee that you'll land one there.  Some countries won't hire you  because they prefer to hire citizens first over temporary foreigners.  And the costs of moving to said countries if you can get a working Visa, which is another big headache.

Thats very true, Canada isn't a bad place to move. But you definitely have to have a job already going for you to move.

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #135 of 152

Quote:
Have you guys thought about moving to places with better economy? For example, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore or even China???

I waiting on the HK consulate to approve my identity, but even if I landed a job in my field (public accounting), the pay would be less and working 16 hours a day + weekends would be completely normal. It would also be almost impossible to own a home in HK on HK wages, but I'm thinking about it though. Also, there seems to be a new disease starting to spread.

I have some friends in Singapore keep trying to push me to go banking in Asia. Keeps saying how the Chinese are getting extremely rich. His friends are tired of buying sports cars so now they're collecting airplanes. I really doubt just moving there would be that much better than America. Sure the top 3% in China are extremely rich and numerous, but the competition is numerous as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back