HOw hard is it to drive a manual?
Jun 23, 2004 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 135

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
Im searching for my first car, and if I could go stick it would open up alot of choices to me. I "Know" how to drive them, but I never have. Im a big car nut, so thats how I picked that up.
icon10.gif

So, is it actually hard to drive/learn? I also learn fast, and have always wanted to learn, so Id be really willing...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 135
well, learning isn't all that hard... its just lots and lots of practise that is necessary, to learn the friction point and all the timing involved in a shift. Try to find a dumpy car to learn basics, after you catch on (how not to drop clutch, etc), its just practise until you get smooth. Thats the hardest part, making each shift seemless and not choppy and jerky.

So, no, its not too hard - you need a day learning the basics, then 2 weeks of practise, and then afterwards, stalling is not a problem

p.s. my friend says "easy peasy lemon squeesy!"

Jun 23, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 135
It's not that hard, dffman2001 pretty well hit it and I would suggest you do. It's a lot better to decide to drive an automatic instead of being forced to.
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 135
Not hard at all but take times and concentration. It's all about timing. You will find it most difficult when you have to drive uphill. But it's much better to start with the manual.

Jun 23, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 135
It's not too bad, I'm fifteen and I'm driving one. Well, with my permit I mean.
biggrin.gif

The biggest thing is the start. That is, going from neutral to first gear and starting. Once you get that, the rest is easy and it's all about getting it smoother and more refined.
Also, most new cars with manuals have some sort of cheating device for hills: when you're in neutral and you press the brake in, when you release the brake it is still engaged until you start moving, so you can use both feet for gas/clutch without worrying about rolling downhill. Nifty stuff, it's pretty damned hard to do it otherwise, I'm still working on that just in case.

Jun 23, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 135
I feel like I'm a better driver with a stick and have more control as well. Find someone that's got a standard and go to a big empty parking lot some Saturday or Sunday. That's how I learned. If you can find one that's got a hill that will be even better. You'll need to practice coordination if you're stopped at a light going up a hill. Don't want to roll back into the car behind you!

P.S.

Don't let Tuberoller teach ya!
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 135
Hi there,

as you probably already know in EUROPE we dont have as many automatic gearboxes as you do. Actually very few of them only.

Manual gearboxes will offer you better performance economy and to be able to choose when and how to shift.

I assume it will take a bit to learn untli you come to the point when you never get the engine turned off by releasing the clutch too soon etc. but after a while you will do everything without even noticing. Like people in EUROPE do. If you get used to driving an automatic and after a few years when you get a a new car and you decide to get a manual GB then it might be tougher.

Jun 23, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 135
It is not too hard...I would differ with the advice above - go to a friend with a powerful car, and ask him/her to teach you - it is much harder to damage a powerful car's drive train with poor clutch technique than it is in a pipsqueek car. Don't go for a competition car however, they can be a little tricky.

Have your friend show you a gentle start, followed by normal or "easy" shifts up and down through the gears, paying attention to the sound, and the RPMs if he/she has a tach. Then ask them to demonstrate a "hard launch", and watch the RPMs and the sound when done for maxumum performance. There are a lot of things going on in these launches, so it will take a lot of practice to get it right. It would be cool to offer your friend some money towards his/her next clutch job at this point. Clutches are wear items, just like brakes, and when you do a lot of this type of training, it takes some of the available life out of the parts. A clutch job can cost as much as $1000, and is commonly around $600, so an offer of around $200-500 is fair. You can't learn this on a rental car anymore, so this is the only way to do it.

If you can, ask friend to take you to a puddle or wet spot, and demonstrate what happens in low traction starts - important in rain, snow, or on sand and gravel.

Later, when you are comfortable with just getting around, ask a friend who knows, how to "Double Clutch" on downshifting - it is an essential skill for high performance driving, and besides, when well-done, it sounds SO cool. If you can get that down, so that it is really smooth, you will have mastered the skill.

It used to be mandatory to learn a technique called "Heel-and-Toe" (even though it is not usually done that way), but in recent years, there is some difference of opinion amongst racers. Jackie Stewart, among others, insist that the gearing and differential designs are not meant to absorb so much horsepower in reverse or retarding direction, and they just use the brakes to slow the car, slotting directly from sixth to second, for example, to set up for acceleration from the apex of a slow turn. Others say that the skill is still necessary, when on a downhill run in mountain driving, to get the brake temps down for the next braking job. I'm in the second camp.

If you can double clutch smoothly while braking hard, you are now ready to go to driving school, with a proper race car.

Automatics or "slushboxes" are costing motorists 2-5% in fuel economy. If you want the ultimate in fuel mileage, you need to drive a manual.

Regards

Guy

Jun 23, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
(...) go to a friend with a powerful car, and ask him/her to teach you...(...)

Yes indeed it was a gilrfriend who was in charge of my learning of «the friction point and all the timing involved in a shift» (dffman)......
eek.gif

Amicalement

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 135
* Destroyed the clutch in his wive's Toyota learning stick *
rolleyes.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 135
Anyone could drive an automatic. Its really not hard at all to drive a manual, as has already been said, its just practice, and once you are used to it, I suspect many people would find a manually easier, especially if you have lots of corners and hills like we have over here. Makes driving much more fun and involving in those circumstances too.... nothing quite beats the feeling of approaching a corner at speed in the right gear, using the throttle to control the steering, and then powering out of the corner using your torque!

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 135
I've driven a number of manual transmission cars (I drive one now, in fact). Lots of good advice above. My only comment is if you have to drive in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, manual transmissions SUCK! As one who has driven stick in downtown Chicago, I realized this long ago.

Also, today's automatic transmissions aren't as fuel inefficient as in the past. I don't have any exact figures, but my wife's Corolla with automatic gets great mileage. All I know is, my next car is going to be an automatic.

Cheers,

bg

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 135
I learn to drive with a manual, it's not difficult, once you get used to it, it's like a second nature. My question is why are you looking for a manual car? Is it for daily commuting? If you live in the city, as beerguy0 suggested, go with automatic. You will be frustrated stuck in traffic with a manual car.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 135
I learned on a stick and all 5 cars have been standard. I love the feel of the road and the control. It's especially good in snow and ice, but that may not be a factor for you.
As has been noted, if you have someone who can teach you in a parking lot, it helps. A bit of practice and you'll be good to go. I've taught 3 people to drive standard, and it was fun.
I agree that automatics are more fuel efficient than ever, so that is less of a differentiating point, but I drive my standard because I really enjoy the interaction with the car. It's so second nature at this point that I "paw the air" and "stomp the floor" when I drive an automatic! LOL I just love driving one...
It's a good option to know too - my boyfriend hadn't driven a standard in years, we had my car, and I got sick and he had to drive me home... He did it beautifully, and looked like a knight in shining armor in the process! So you never know how it could come in handy!
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 135
I remember my first stickshift lesson. My uncle was my instructor and it was about 2 hours of pure frustration!
mad.gif
Then all of a sudden, you GET IT !
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
From then on it's like riding a bike, you never loose it. Some people pick it up faster than others.

It's definately the way to go. Once you learn how to drive stickshift, you will find driving automatic totally uninvolving. The only time I enjoy driving automatics now is if the car is really powerful or if it has the tiptronic automatic shifter (BMW, Mercedes etc.).

Don't be intimidated by it. Think about all the millions of people around the world that drive manual. Why the hell would you think that you can't!
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back