How good (or bad) sounding is the headphone amp in the Marantz CD6006 CD player?
Dec 14, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the Marantz 5001 cd player. All i can say is that it smears detail to sound "pleasant" to extreme levels. My mobile phone sounded more "detailed". Not sure how it compares to new versions. The headphone amp drove my hd600 to high spls with no problem. The SQ of the amp could not be determined due to the shortcomings of the cd player.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 4
I had the CD60 before. It made my SR225 sound like a tin can, but was perfectly usable with the HD600. Granted, it couldn't render dynamics like how the drums pop out a little bit more on a good amplifier, and the midrange and treble are more smoothened out (vs even older Meier amps, much less the O2 and Schiits; however it was nowhere near how my LD MkII gave Norah Jones sinusitis), but still better than other computer devices I had. iPod 5g was just horrible on it, iPad usable but overall tone was slightly harsher with treble notes, my laptop had weird bass on it and the rest of the range sounded like an old radio (not a problem with my SR225 and ASG-1, so I have to suspect it piles on distortion as it tries to crank out enough power at 300ohms).

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Old thread but it might help people. I bought it specifically for this and for the iDevice USB input (which seems to disappear in favor of Airplay) . It improved sound quality a lot compared to NR1200 receiver (maybe the DAC or USB vs Deezer HiFi Airplay ?) with a lot of details emphasized. I have not compared it to other solutions but compared to a (good) motherboard, Walkman NWA45 and an iPhone 6s the soudn quality is noticably better. The power is plenty enough for my AKG 712 Pro. Also tried it with a RS-185 and it is also better (in analog). I bought it for 350 euros, I consider it a great deal considering the added value even if I do not listen to many CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back