How good of a source can the PC be?
Dec 18, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 24
No idea if it's worth the 17k, but the USB inputs we're using in my Grace m902 and your Apogee Mini-DAC aren't taking advantage of the jitter reduction possible by USB. My understanding is that what we've got are basically SPDIF systems going through USB, as opposed to a true USB based approach, which the Wavelength products have. Does it really make a difference? Dunno.

Best,

-Jason

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by blumenco
the best digital source i have ever heard is a computer running WAV files. simple as that. it sounded BETTER (by far) than the meridian thingy.

I dunno Clark. The Meridian thingy model is really nice.
600smile.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regus
Interesting... So you are saying the digital output signal you can obtain from a pc (asuming we are using a 44.1kHz 16bit material originating from the same cd) is somehow different from the one the CDP outputs.

Well I shan't claim to be an expert but that doesn't make much sense to me... Unless one of the two sources is somehow flawed the digital stream should be identical, and thus the sound achieved should not differ in the slightest.

I prefer PC audio myself, but mainly from a convinience point of view - and it is my assumption it can be as good as the sound you can achieve using conventional equipment, but I see little reason to believe you can somehow magicly or otherwise obtain better sound.

I'm not the best person to talk about all the technical aspects of why a PC is better transport, but the answer to your first question is yes, a PC is different. One obvious way is all the mechanical components a CDP uses. Another is ripping bit perfect copies of cds. Here's a link to get you started:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gongos
I'm not the best person to talk about all the technical aspects of why a PC is better transport, but the answer to your first question is yes, a PC is different. One obvious way is all the mechanical components a CDP uses. Another is ripping bit perfect copies of cds. Here's a link to get you started:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm

I'm sorry, but that guy clearly hasn't got a clue - encoded in the depth of the pits... distance between pits... what is that guy smoking?

That is pure nonse the audio is encoded in 16 bit 44.1 kHz PCM - there is no such concept as the distance between the pits, nor does a CD operate with pit depth, a "pit" is either on or off, it is a binary medium not some voodoo magic semi analogue thingie.

Every 32 bits read off of the cd represent 1/44100 seconds of two channel audio neither more nor less - there is no way jitter could be introduced the way that guy says, it is downright wrong.

The only way jitter can occur is if the electronics of the CDP are faulty or inaccurate, or if the buffer is too short, it is however very unlikely a buffer that is too short would result only in simple jitter and far more likely it would result in clearly audible gaps.

So unless the CDP is poorly designed or implemented there is no logical reason for it to introduce any more or less jitter than a PC.

While it is entirely possible that all CDPs are designed by incompetent engineers in sincerely doubt it.

EDIT:
FYI: I use PC audio myself and do not even own a CDP, nor would I buy one - I respect that some people may have experience that proves this or that to them, but so far I haven't heard a single logical reason as to why CDPs in general should be worse than PCs as transports.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
And you would know because you've done extensive AB comparisons? Oh wait.

I don't think you're making refernece to me, but so there's no confusion I have done direct a/b comparisons between a PC and CDP, where the only change was the DAC. No contest.

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gongos
I don't think you're making refernece to me, but so there's no confusion I have done direct a/b comparisons between a PC and CDP, where the only change was the DAC. No contest.

No not you.
wink.gif
Out of curiosity, what DAC did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back