How good is your hearing;favored headphone?
Sep 23, 2005 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

spinali

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's a fun game for all dedicated Golden Ears and Head-Fi'ers -- and I'd love to know the results. Below are links to two programs that test your hearing, for Windows and Mac.

Audiometer Hearing Test (Windows) http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/27388

Audio Test (Mac) http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21917

What's the high/low threshold of your hearing? And what's your preferred headphone?

Is there a relationship? Let's find out! Take a few minutes and post your results here.

Mine? 15,500hz (high)/25hz (low) Beyer DT880s

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 17
My hearing range is about 30hz-17.9khz. As for my sound/sonic signiture (of phones) taste, I'm really sensitive to treble, especially in the 8khz-12khz and 16khz-20khz range, and tend to like senn sound.

Sep 23, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 17
The software sets the output volume to minimum on calibration at each tone beyond the first, requiring it to be manually changed back to hear anything (thus, it makes a test that isn't very precise even less precise, as my headphone out is muted each time, and its sliders won't raise it). It seems to be changing the output volume by adjusting the mixer settings.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm in an office with the somewhat noisy HVAC...will try this again at home where its quiet. From just mucking around, my hearing range seems to be around 25Hz-16.1kHz. Will post again with results from home.

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
Calibration may not be 100% accurate (I assume you're using the Windows app; the Mac app doesn't have this glitch.) Perhaps an "in-the-ballpark" set of readings will be okay?

I doubt it, and it's annoying--if I have to go back to the windows mixer for each part of calibration and testing, but am not supposed to look at the graph being made in front of me...
confused.gif

I'll see if I can try the Mac one. Hopefully the Mac Mini's integrated sound isn't too noisy (I tried the iMic, but w/ KSC75 or E3c, I got more noise than w/ my Aurilium!).

Sep 24, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 17
I tried using the audio-cd hearing test:
http://www.digital-recordings.com/audiocd/audio.html

I could hear from 20 Hz to 18 KHz (the test didn't have 19 KHz, but I know I couldn't hear 20 KHz). I did have some "speed bumps" in my mid range (most noticeably around 8 KHz), and my listening curve was consistently a bit steeper than the ideal in the high range.

This was using my HD 650s connected to my iRiver H140 while sitting in my bedroom. Oh yeah, I'm 24 years old.

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 17
You know, it's very possible that these tests are limited by the range of the headphones you're using to administer them. Headphone frequency response specs mean nothing because there are usually no ± dB points . A headphone that comes in a box which proudly proclaims it extends down to 6 Hz (HA!) may very well be give you 30 Hz at 20 dB down, and not be within the ±3 range until 45 or 50 Hz.

Making these comparisons is cool to see if there's a link between test results and headphone preference, but hopefully nobody is considering using this instead of going to see an audiologist.

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 17
mine is from 10 Hz to ~18,000 Hz.

HD600 right now.

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 17
The program generated a LOT of background noise. It sounded like tuning an AM radio and it pulsed with the test tone. It was terrible when I tried to calibrate it. Made it too difficult to use.

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 17
Hmm, I can't get it working with my 0404 right now
confused.gif

The calibration doesn't work, I'm just not hearing anything.

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 17
Can someone explain what this graph means? I calibrated it and took the test- i think i did it right, the calibration i set it so i JUST heard a noise, and the test i clicked the "i hear it" key when i heard the tone. What's my range? I used a 0404 to a Lite DAC-AH to a Stax SRM-1/MKII to a STAX Lambda Pro.
NoiseTest.png

BTW when i was taking this test I realized how loud my desktop HD was whirring away lol - i never noticed it until now, and now it's driving me crazy! It's usually never quiet enough in my house to ever hear it, but it's midnite and i'm specifically trying to hear quiet noises...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back