How good is the PS3's DAC for SACD?
Jan 7, 2007 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shadowlink1014

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty sure that the DAC in the PS3 isn't too great... but I have to wonder - if they went through all the trouble to put SACD in there in the first place, then perhaps they would put in a decent DAC with it (especially since most people can't play the audio out of HDMI).

Has anyone tried using the PS3's analog output with an SACD... how does it sound with a good pair of cans?

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm giving this thread a bump coz I'd like to know if anyone savvy with SACDs and what can be expected from them has tried the PS3 in their headphone rig.

Yeah; I could try it myself but I don't own any SACDs, I'm not really familiar in what to expect from the format sound wise and I'd have to deal with the spaghetti cable hell that my PS3 is tangled up in downstairs.

I'm hoping to find some knowledgeable opinion before I start ripping apart the gaming rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 5
I have played quite a few SACD with the PS3 converting it to PCM and passing it to my multichannel receiver. it sounds very good in this config. The analog outs are pretty bad tho and SACD wouldnt be very good at all through analogs.

Sep 6, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Easy answer, the PS3 does NOT have an internal DAC worth speaking of. You're expected to use the digital output options, i.e. either HDMI or SPDIF optical. Clearly the optical can't output SACD, but I've read of an owner of a very new Anthem AV amp which is capable of decoding SACD thrown at it via HDMI.

Sep 6, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 5
You need to get the SACD out via Optical (2ch. Only) or HDMI (MultiChannel). The PS3 doesn't do DSD via HDMI, so it converts to PCM, which kinda defeats the point of SACD, but its not a bad player with the BitMapping option set to 3. You should also force the output to 44.1 kHz rather than let it go through a frankenstien of upsampling etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back