How good is SONY MDR-V300 ?
Jul 17, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #17 of 28
The V300's are pretty bad. Hop over to Circuit City and get the PortaPro2's for $30, a VAST improvement.

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #20 of 28
apparently one of the best ways to listen to a v series headphone from sony is with a sledgehammer in my very humble objective opinion
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #21 of 28
I think everyone is OVERexaggerating how horrible the v300s are.

They are about as good as the Bose Triports.. if that says anything. I had both and I compared them and concluded a tie.

The v300s are muddy and have this thick veil that covers everything BUT the highs. You get less midrange, boomy bass, and unbalanced highs.

That being said, they are still listenable. Your ears will adjust and they are ok. However, for the price, you can get the HD201s which will mop it in terms of balance and overall tone.

Jul 18, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #23 of 28
I have been listening and playing around with these cans for a while. Got the mod fever and tried out a few things and here's what I believe is the problem with these headphones -

The #1 problem with the headphones are the earpads. No, not in terms of comfort but sound itself. They enhance the bass considerably but virtually destroy the sound. The "too much bass that covers/muddies everything else" problem arises out of this. Remove the pads, and the foam sheets too(or cut a hole the size of the transducer) and listen again. You will see what I mean. You will loose bass but you will be glad to compromise that.

#2 - closed phones. Now you might just laugh what I did but I was going to throw/stow away these headphones anyway so I didn't mind doing this. I drilled numerous holes in the back of the earpiece - kinda like the way SR-60 looks. And there was noticeable difference in the boomy of the lower-mids.

At this point, they are far from the terrible horrible headphones that these are claimed to be.

IMHO, if you are willing to sacrifice the overwhelming and obstrusive bass that these things put out, it has a lot of potential to sound better.
Well ofcourse simply gettting a $30 Koss instead of these phones would be much easier than all this but I just wanted to throw this out here.

Now to search for some decent earpads to put on these, till then the cut out foam sheet should be ok...and maybe a good short cable with a good pin..all for the fun of it...

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #25 of 28
Had the v250, powerhungry sob with absolutely no clarity or balance. Midrange and treble seemed to be on vacation. Wasn't worth the $30 I paid for it. My senn mx300s sound better, and they're like $7.

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
i have the v150 and they suck

my sentiments exactly.. my first pair of phones that i bought seperate from an audio player were these... i didnt know anybetter

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 28
This 3AD has driven me to listen to my MDR V-300 another time.
Well, they cost about 40 euro, here in Italy, but their value is much worse.

I think truly that this is one of the worst sounding headphone ever made. Especially for the overbloated bass (that's not deep) and the very resonating mids that have a honky sound that can't compare no way with the "reality". No highs too, only sometimes they brake up on cold cimbals.

Unfortunately, if someone (not head-fier) goes to a shop and want e cheap, headphone, tipically sees that Sony and thinks "wow, they're Sony, they have to be good sounding and good quality, etc etc", and he buys it, and probably he will listen to it and "appreciate" because of this bassy sound. This is very misguiding. Because for the same price you can buy a Senn HD201, or a PX100, for example. If you listen to another headphones (every) after listening the MDR-V300, the headphones will seem without bass and only high-sounding.

And Sony knows how to make good headphones, also cheap (remember the little supra-aural in the '80, or the MDR-44/64 of the '90?), I can't understand why they make this crap. More respect for the music, please. It can be done at every price.

Goodsound, you can do a very big step-up without spending much. If you are in USA it will be a good idea to try a Grado Sr-60, probably the cheaper and best way to achieve a near high-end sound, especially in timbral accuracy.
wink.gif

Andrea

May 2, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #28 of 28
To my ears, the V150 actually sounds pretty decent, but ONLY if you remove the felt that covers the drivers and you throw away the original earpads and put 70mm AliExpress velvet earpads on them, then they are beyond listenable, if you don't believe me, try it yourself, they are cheappp to get a hold of.

Didn't realize how old this thread was until after, lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back