How good is my factory soundcard? Would a DAC be noticeable?
Jul 20, 2017 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Elgrindio

New Head-Fier
From reading other posts, it seems like the quality of laptop soundcards varies a lot and therefore the difference between the soundcard and an external DAC should also vary a lot, correct? I'm contemplating getting an external DAC (Schiit Modi 2), and I would like to get an idea of how much improvement to expect, or if it's even going to be noticeable. Some people say that it was a clear improvement while others say they bought one and sold it again because they couldn't hear a difference. Is there a way to know whether my soundcard is considered to be a good quality D/A converter. I tried finding info, but in Device Manager it only says "Realtek Audio". The laptop is a Dell Core-i3, about a year old.

I currently listen through a pair of Senn HD 598, and am planning to buy the Hifiman He-400S. I use a Schiit Magni 2 amp connected to the computer right now. Should I be concerned about my current soundcard creating "double amplification", and so assume that a DAC will automatically be better if only for that reason? Thanks for any tips!

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 5
From reading other posts, it seems like the quality of laptop soundcards varies a lot and therefore the difference between the soundcard and an external DAC should also vary a lot, correct? I'm contemplating getting an external DAC (Schiit Modi 2), and I would like to get an idea of how much improvement to expect, or if it's even going to be noticeable. Some people say that it was a clear improvement while others say they bought one and sold it again because they couldn't hear a difference. Is there a way to know whether my soundcard is considered to be a good quality D/A converter. I tried finding info, but in Device Manager it only says "Realtek Audio". The laptop is a Dell Core-i3, about a year old.

I currently listen through a pair of Senn HD 598, and am planning to buy the Hifiman He-400S. I use a Schiit Magni 2 amp connected to the computer right now. Should I be concerned about my current soundcard creating "double amplification", and so assume that a DAC will automatically be better if only for that reason? Thanks for any tips!

Avoiding double amplification and having to fiddle with output levels to be between 1.8v to 2.2v, plus likely some noise, is a good reason to get a DAC if you're using an amp anyway. Don't expect it to be absolutely night and day at all situations though.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 5
Avoiding double amplification and having to fiddle with output levels to be between 1.8v to 2.2v, plus likely some noise, is a good reason to get a DAC if you're using an amp anyway. Don't expect it to be absolutely night and day at all situations though.
Another question, if I had a DAC, couldn't I use USB OTG from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S and get the same quality sound as from my laptop? Right now I only use the laptop because the sound quality is better than the headphone jack on my tablet.

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 5
Another question, if I had a DAC, couldn't I use USB OTG from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S and get the same quality sound as from my laptop? Right now I only use the laptop because the sound quality is better than the headphone jack on my tablet.

If it works properly then the sound will be the same, unless there's some kind of software that alters the sound, like some kind of DSP effect.

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 5
If you get a dac then yes you could use with your phone or the laptop. Assuming you use usb connection for audio, it will bypass the onboard dac and the volume should be solely line level output so no double amp. I had a relatively nice motherboard (asus Maximus VIII) and after getting a cheap Fiio Q1 I could not go back, my dt 990s bass sounded muddy and overdone with motherboard, with dac bass was tight and clean and details came out much more. Yes it should be a decent improvement that most will recommend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back