How good is Bose Companion 5 as DAC/AMP? (With Sennheiser HD700)
Aug 27, 2016 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

gusqls9923

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community!

This is my first time on this forum, and as the message suggested me to post my first question here, I'll do so. I hope I can get some answers here! :)
Little introduction before I start here is who I am. I am a amateur filmmaker(Mainly video editing), gamer, and music lover.

So I currently own Bose Companion 5, I purchased it about 4 years ago and I like it as a daily music listening speaker (Although I'm hoping to change to something like JBL LSR308 in the future [I was initially looking at audiophile speakers like audioengine a5+, but I was asking around the film making community, and based on the different answers I got, reference speakers are better choice for my position]).

Yesterday I decided to drop the money to buy an Sennheiser HD700 which is an headphone I've been wanting to buy for about an year. And it doesn't come until 2 days later, and while researching about headphones I noticed that DAC/AMP is a big part of audio quality as well, then I realized my Bose Companion 5 is basically an DAC/AMP since it uses connection through USB, and has a volume knob of its own, as well as an headphone jack. So I tried to search the spec of my Companion 5 but it seems like Bose does not like to release a specific information to the public.

So here is my question, does anyone have experience of Bose Companion 5's DAC/AMP? Is it good enough for Sennheiser HD700, or should I purchase a separate DAC/AMP for my headphone?

And this is a second non-related question, how good is motherboard sound system nowadays? If I were to purchase only AMP, is it good enough? (I currently own Asus Maximus VIII Formula Z170 Motherboard)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back