How good / bad is the digital and analogue output of an Airport Express?
Apr 9, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 20
I have both and a glass cable with a 1/8" adapter is MUCH better than the monster or probably any plastic toslink cable. I'm running the airport exp to a apogee mini and am very happy with this setup however the apogee's usb input sounds better still.

Apr 9, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #17 of 20
I'll try to clarify my question (And the subject of the thread is the analogue output - I think the pros and cons of the toslink connection and the different cables have been adressed in other threads
confused.gif
). What I wanted to know was that would the analogue out of the Express give me a noticeable improvement over my current Creative external.

I'm not really concerned with the different kinds of digitals, as I won't be able to buy one in the near future. If the analogue out would offer me no improvement, then I'd start saving straight for a CDP.

Thanks for all the feedback anyway,

/JF

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #18 of 20
The AEX analog sound is plenty good, particulary if you are short of cash and already have one. I would try to upgrade to Apple Lossless or AAC 320 and use your Mac as a cd player to AEX. I would do that over a new CDP at the $500 price point. As you go up in CDP price, that is another story.

With an outboard DAC, you might want to stop right there with the AEX.

The real question is how much of an audiophile are you? There is always something else out there worth saving for, but eventually you just don't care to spend any more money. The sooner you get there, the better. The AEX makes that point more accessible than ever. Look for the new May Stereophile magazine where they review it, and then it is up to you. But be careful of your wallet in the digital world. There is always something better.

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #19 of 20
I find the quality is ok. About the level of a cheap dvd player (entry-level tosh/samsung etc). I personally think it is bettered by the ipod, which has a more refined sound to my ears. The biggest drawback I hear is the significant power-supply hum coming out of the analogue out. Does anyone else notice this?

I used to use mine exclusively with a trivista dac and the sound was undoubtedly improved over the AX alone (and no hum neither), but now I'm on the road I have to live with my AX/sonic impact/cheap mini speaker combo. Its portability is great! Does it still make enjoyable listening?..sure does. Do I miss my big rig?..sure do.

Apr 11, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #20 of 20
Thanks, seems like to really know, I'll just have to try it for myself (as usual with this forum!
biggrin.gif
). Still, it seems like it'll be a direct upgrade over the Creative card, and actually sound good whenever I manage to put together the cash for an external DAC... Thanks again.

/JF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back